CoolIT ECO A.L.C. and Corsair H50 Comparison / Review

Associate
CoolIT ECO A.L.C. and Corsair H50 Comparison / Review

by Henry Butt

The CoolIT Domino was a revolutionary product when it was released a few years ago, making liquid cooling available to the masses in an affordable and easy-to-install package. This was then overshadowed to some degree by the Corsair H50 that came in at a slightly lower price and was remarked to perform better than the Domino in testing. Today I'm going to look at CoolIT's latest product, the ECO, which promises to outdo the H50 in terms of performance and price.

Packaging and Bundle

The ECO is supplied in a small box considering the size of the unit which carries a somewhat minimalistic black and white design. Rather than using product photos on the box, CoolIT have opted for a number of diagrams which give a more technical overview of the product. Alongside these diagrams there is a vast amount of information about the ECO including its specifications and features.

IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

Similarly to the Domino and H50, the ECO is a fully integral unit that is completely assembled in the box. Inside the box we find the necessary backplates for coupling the unit with a number of different platforms. There are also two brackets which allow you to secure the ECO to AMD CPUs.

IMG_3657.jpg

Specification

• CoolIT CPU FHE (Fluid Heat Exchanger)
• Copper Micro-Channel
• CoolIT Proprietary Pump
• Quiet, compact, long life CFF1 pump
• Ceramic bearing
• Life Cycle: 50,000 Hours MTTF
• CoolIT Coolant
• CoolIT Systems low toxicity with anticorrosion/anti fungal additives
• CoolIT Radiator Custom engineered for low noise high heat dissipation
• CoolIT Fan
• High reliability, Quiet 12V
• Speed: 1800 RPM MAX
• CoolIT CPU Thermal Grease
• CoolIT Systems Pro A.T.C.
• (Advanced Thermal Compound)
• CoolIT 2 Year Manufacturer Warranty

Introduction

There are a number of advantages associated with compact liquid-cooling systems like the ECO. The light-weight of CPU block and pump minimises stress on the motherboard which is a small issue with heavy air-cooling solution that is likely to have an expanse of metal heatsink and possibly a large fan too. It will also help to reduce temperatures of the other components in the system; the radiator attaches directly to the fan slot in the rear of your system so the hot air is expelled immediately rather than passing over the other components on its way. Finally there are also a number of performance benefits associated with water-cooling thanks to its superior heat exchange properties.

IMG_3636.jpg

Design

Surprisingly, the ECO resembles the H50 much more than the Domino in design; the pump is located in the CPU block and the somewhat useless LCD screen is gone. This means the ECO is also quite small in size when compared to the Domino. It is also possible to replace the fan on the ECO without having to destroy the unit although the fan is still supplied attached to the unit.

IMG_3641.jpg

The build quality of the ECO is on a totally different level to the Domino. The flimsy grey plastic of the Domino has been removed; the more simplistic design of the ECO doesn't require a housing as it consists of a standard single radiator and fan.

IMG_3638.jpg

Installation

It would seem that CoolIT have learned from their mistakes with the Domino which was a little tricky to install. The CPU backplates are clearly marked with the platform they are designed for and, for ease of installation, there is a foam pad on either side which holds the backplate in place during installation.

IMG_3650.jpg

When this is positioned, it is a simple matter of securing the radiator to the vent in the back of your machine using the four provided screws and attaching the CPU block. The mounting mechanism is very simple; the screws can easily be repositioned to fit the socket 1156 bracket and have a thumbgrip around them to facilitate easy installation. For AMD motherboards, there are two fittings that must be attached to the CPU block before installation but this only takes a minute or two. Thermal-paste is pre-applied to the block but I replaced this with Geld GC Extreme paste to ensure fair results during testing.

IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

I only encountered one small problem during installation; the pump cable is a little short so for those with motherboards with the fan connectors a long way from the CPU, it isn't ideal. To make it reach, I had to reposition the CPU block into a different orientation (not the one shown in the installation leaflet).

Performance

Testing Setup:

Intel Core i7 920 CPU
Asus P6T
3 x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 RAM
1TB Samsung HD103SJ 7200rpm Hard Drive
Zotac 275GTX 896mb GPU
Corsair HX850 PSU
Lian Li PC-60FW Case

CoolIT ECO A.L.C.
Corsair H50

Both coolers were tested with Gelid GC Extreme thermal paste applied to ensure a fair test.

ecograph.png

Conclusion

It would seem that the CoolIT ECO yields quite substantial performance gains over the Corsair H50 across the board. Even under load with the CPU overclocked to 3.8GHz, it only reached 62 degrees which is very impressive. Looking around on the internet the ECO also seems to be a shade cheaper than the H50 at under £60 on most sites so is definitely a decent investment if you're looking to push your PC to its limits.

Associate
OP
Will get some up this weekend - i did take some photos of it installed but they didn't come out well so will rephotograph it in the studio :)

Soldato
Curious results. The difference between them at idle is far higher than the distance between them at load would suggest. Specifically at idle both should be within a few degrees of room temperature. What was the room temperature during this review?

It might be worth repeating using the same fan for each cooler for the benefit of the many people who swap the fans on these for more exciting ones, at present there's no way of knowing how much of the difference is down to the stock fans.

I'd be interested in any more detail you can offer on test methodolgy, as without knowing the details of what you did it is very difficult to assess the reliability of the results.

Last edited:
Associate
I would also like to see this test repeated with the same fan used for both coolers. I imagine most people who bothered to spend so much on a cooler would at least be willing to drop another £10 on a decent fan, rather than the mediocre corsair (and presumably equivalently mediocre) coolIT ones.

Associate
OP
I will retest the ECO and H50 next week sometime (as I have run out of thermal paste) with the same fan - the best I have is a Noctua NF-P12. I didn't record room temperature during the original test but will do so when i retest with the same fan. As for the testing methodology, I used everest ultimate to record the CPU temperature and Cinebench to load. The idle result was measured after the load test leaving 30 minutes with the system on the desktop doing nothing.

For those looking to buy an ECO, I would hold off for a little while because apparantly there was some problems with the catches on the first batch - there may well be some of these still out there.

Soldato
The noctua would be ideal, that's approximately what people seem to upgrade to.

Cinebench will generate considerably lower temperatures than intel burn test, making differences between the coolers more apparent if you use the more aggressive stability test.

That's not idle temps as such, it's whatever the cooler has managed to get the water back down to within half an hour. Could you report idle as before testing rather than after?

Cheers for getting the results up anyway, there's not much online yet.

Associate
OP
I should get around to the testing today or tomorrow - with the H50 shall I set the fan up so it's blowing out of the case like the ECO fan or into the case like its stock fan?

Cheers

Soldato
Set up both the ECO and the H50 fans in the same way. Same side same direction of flow.

Thanks for the review :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Sorry have been insanely busy as one of my exams has been brought forward! Will try and get around to the testing ASAP but will hopefully get it done at the weekend!

Permabanned
I just read Clunks review on this too, and it seemed really bad. I wonder why the two review results are so different.

Back
Top Bottom