Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L

Soldato
2nd hand these go for £300-£400 which is madness when you consider the new price. Great lens though and worth every penny.

Why is it madness?

Good glass is good glass, regardless of whether it's used or not. Good quality lenses, L glass in particular holds its value extremely well.

Soldato
I fully agree but some of the asking prices for 2nd hand gear is quite frankly ridiculous, be it good glass or not you can't fully know the history or environment its been used in.

I would only buy glass that is reasonably priced 2nd hand, to make a £30-£40 saving to me isn't worth it, I would buy new if I couldn't source a good 2nd hand at a good price.

The 50mm mk2 1.8 is a classic example they fetch £60 2nd hand when can be bought new for £70 sometimes it isnt worth taking a risk.

Associate
I would imagine that most people investing in L grade lens who then sell on would have taken very good care of them.
All but one of my lens (50mm 1.8) were bought second hand from London camera exchange who I find are quite honest in pointing out problems with lens e.g allignment and scratches.

Saying that...yeah s/hand prices are still whack!

Back
Top Bottom