• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

which of these will hold it's resale value better?

Soldato
Powercolor 5850 at £200, or an Asus 5870 at £310?

Wouldn't pay over £200 for a 5850, but I wanted an Asus for the voltage tweak without bios flashing. As the Asus 5850 can't be had for £200 or less, some idiotic part of my brain started considering just getting a Asus 5870.

Unless MSI Afterburner allows voltage tweak?

Soldato
OP
Couple of years hopefully.

Just want to finish my build - currently running 4870. which does handle most things just fine. Would love to be able to run Crysis very high at 1920x1200, but think that will take a 5970 :(

Man of Honour
It's difficult to predict the how much a card will depreciate over a period of time because there are too many factors to consider such as newer models, demand, warranty etc etc. My 8800 GTX was around the £300 when i bought it three years ago. Today, it's probably only worth £60. Was it worth it, hell yes.

The main key to upgrading your card is not what it will be worth tomorrow but what its worth to you as a user today and the value for money you’ll get out of it long term. I say, something is only worth the money if you enjoy and get good use out of it otherwise it’s a waste.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice. Thought about it, and decided to go with the powercolor 5850 which came in just a pinch under £200 with free delivery.

I know that if I spent more than £200, I'd always be wondering if it was really worth the extra cost. Honestly don't think it would be.

At least now my build will be finished, and I can seal my computer and let it run merrily without fiddling any more :)

Soldato
You will lose money less on a 5850. If you can get a 5850 for £200 you are unlikely to lose any money if you sell within a few months. The 5870 is a little harder to call, and will depend on Fermi pricing, performance and availability. If you keep the cards for several years the 5850 will still win. Ultimately both cards will eventually be worth nothing so you have more to lose with the 5870.

Back
Top Bottom