"Sky" offering a free upgrade?

Associate
I'm a little bit angry that an 88 year old man could potentially make decisions that he doesn't understand but hey, Sky obviously just think a sale is a sale and that's that. :mad:

Hmm, that's not Sky per se, more down to the individual salesperson. Sky has a very strict policy about business conducted with potentially vulnerable customers (including elderly). From the sounds of it, your experience will have generated a customer service issue on this guys record, he'll be out the door pretty swiftly if it happens again!

Unfortunately, no matter how many questions are asked at interview or how good the training is, the reps are ultimately working on their own in the field. If they use dirty tactics it is only by customer feedback that we can pick out the bad apples.

Soldato
What gets my goat with Sky is they offer new customers a free hd box and free "installation" yet they want to charge me £60 fitting for basically turning my Sky box off and placing the HD box in it's place.

May just cancel the whole thing and buy a freesat HD recorder box. Would be cheaper in the long run and I can still watch the world cup in HD.

Associate
I got the call today.

HD coming my way next Thurs for £10 a month, no account details just the basic address and stuff.

Good thing too, I bought a HD TV years ago, but have been too tight for Sky to pop over and do a box swap for £60.

I did have multi-room, so I think that is a qualifier, plus years of loyal Sky service. Plus points are I dropped the multiroom as it is never used, so essentially no change on my account - except HD'ness :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the call today.

HD coming my way next Thurs for £10 a month, no account details just the basic address and stuff.

Good thing too, I bought a HD TV years ago, but have been too tight for Sky to pop over and do a box swap for £60.

I did have multi-room, so I think that is a qualifier, plus years of loyal Sky service. Plus points are I dropped the multiroom as it is never used, so essentially no change on my account - except HD'ness :)

That sounds great so you only have to pay the £10 a month for the HD channels?

We currently have 4 Pack with Sports Pack on the Basic box, Unlimited Internet & Sky Talk Freetime but they wanted us to either pay £200 for HD box & install or take multiroom which we have no interest in at all.

How did you get them to do it all for free?

Associate

We currently have 4 Pack with Sports Pack on the Basic box, Unlimited Internet & Sky Talk Freetime but they wanted us to either pay £200 for HD box & install or take multiroom which we have no interest in at all.

Yup all for just £10 a month. No box charge, no installation. As I said the £10 is being moved from multiroom to the HD, so no real change.

I am also on a real budget pack at £17 a month. No Broadband or telephone.

The only thing I can think of is that I did apply on-line a few weeks back when the box was free subj to installation charge.

So I think the key thing here is length of service 10 years + with multi room for at least a year.

He did say that sky were migrating all customers to HD, so it may be just a case of waiting...

Soldato

Cancel contract and get someone else in your house hold to take out a new one. New customers get it all for free (Just a £40 installation fee).

Soldato
I already have Sky HD in the main room and just phoned up to find out how much it would be to change our second box(currently sky+) to sky HD. They said they can do me a deal and that they could let me have the box for £199(instead of £250) + £60 installation. Then on top of that I have to pay another £10 per month for HD in another room even though i'm paying for HD already and multiroom. Apparently every Sky HD box has to have a £10 per month HD subscription.

Associate
Apparently every Sky HD box has to have a £10 per month HD subscription.

Aaaargh, no no no!

Sky haven't hired the brightest bunch in their call centres it seems :(.

Some clarification for the different questions raised in this thread:

Sky customers can get the new Sky+HD box for free, whether new or existing. If you are an existing customer and they give you some weird reason for why you might have to pay for it, try asking politely to speak to a supervisor as hopefully they will be aware that this promotion is for new and old customers alike. The only stipulation might be entering a/nother 12 month contract so that you can't cancel instantly and leave Sky with the cost for the hardware. I'm 95% sure there aren't any other catches... but it is my first week and I've had to learn a lot in it, so please don't kill me if I'm wrong!

The Sky+HD box is free, the HD pack is not free - it's £10 a month on top of your existing subscription, but there are some HD channels (BBC, C4, etc) that are free outside of the HD pack anyway, so you get those regardless. There is no requirement to have the HD subscription just because you have an HD box.

If you go to Sky yourself as a new customer, installation is £60. If you are lucky and Sky come to you to pitch a sale (my job) installation is only £30. Before you ask though, I can't sign people up over email or OcUK as I have to present the deal/contract in person (plus it would break forum rules), so you'll just have to hope they visit. As a plus however, your first months subscription payment is included in the installation cost and it also provides warranty for all of the free equipment supplied, so it's not a bad deal really, especially when compared to what some companies are charging to install aerial freeview.

Anyway, I'm going to stop going on about it now since I'm not being paid for any of this! I just wish Sky would educate their call centre staff better when these promotions come around - because half of them know it and do give out the great deals, and the other half don't know, which alienates existing customers when they call to get in on the action and then get rejected or told they need to pay more :o. Oh well...

Man of Honour
What with no £10 a month extra for HD?

Yes - except you don't get HD. Sky recently scrapped the Sky+ box, so all customers who would have got a Sky+ box now get a Sky+ HD box, and the HD subscription is now optional. If you don't take the HD subscription you effectively get a large capacity Sky+ box. This is good for Sky because it simplifies their product choices and also encourages everyone to go HD.

Credit card details were probably needed for the installation charge. You do still get charged installation (typically £30 or £60) on a free box.

PS - free Sky+ HD 1TB box would be nice if anyone is offering. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
this happened to me as well sky phoning all the time talking about insurance wanting to speak to me personally.
Guy was getting right narky on the phone to my mum since I'm never in.

I phoned sky and they had no trace of any call to my house.

However the calls stopped after I made the complaint.

Caporegime
OP
this happened to me as well sky phoning all the time talking about insurance wanting to speak to me personally.
Guy was getting right narky on the phone to my mum since I'm never in.

I phoned sky and they had no trace of any call to my house.

However the calls stopped after I made the complaint.

This happened to us over and over until I called Sky and complained. It's a seperate company to Sky that offers insurance on your Sky box. Sky themselves actually use this company and give them a list of customers though, so while it isn't actually Sky they are still working for them. :)

Soldato
Been on the phone to them again today and as I already have an HD box I'm not entitled to another free HD box to replace my current multiroom Sky+ box. I was told the best place to get another box would be eBay which would be cheaper than they can sell me one(they were still quoting £199). I also have the Sky account at my parents in my name so I asked about replacing the + box there with a HD box and was told the HD box is only free if you sign up to 12months HD subs and if I took it up they would send the box out for a £30 courier charge for self installation.

Associate
Hi,

I would be a bit suspicious of this type of behaviour if i am being honest. I work for Sky, as part of (not in) the department that deals with "reinstate" issues. Yes they are offering free upgrades and yes all correspondance is now done through the post or email (preferably email) but Sky do and always will do direct sales through the phones.

I would call Sky directly yourself and ask them about his account. You will need to know his password, mothers maiden name (if applicable) and date of birth. Tell them what happened and let them look for the ID of the agent who called. To be honest though if it was a Scottish accent then it probably was Sky, if not then call up and ask.

Back
Top Bottom