Overclocking CPU reduces the RAM? Some help please

Associate
Afternoon all,

I put a post under 'general hardware' earlier in the week thinking I possibly had a faulty component. Having now ruled this out, I’ve seen what is causing the problem, but want to know if anyone has any recommendations / suggestions to get around this. ...or have i made a completley obvious mistake!!

PC build:
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping
OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel (OCZ3G1600LV6GK).
Windows 7 64 bit.
F10 bios on the MB.

I’m a complete novice at overclocking, have been using the guide on these forums... though it is going over my head a bit.

I have manually changed the ram settings to 8-8-8-24 @ 1.64v, and left everything else on 'auto', but it only runs at 1044mhz (from memory- not on my pc at the moment), not the 1600mhz it states it can be run at.

if I leave the CPU at stock values (2ghz, not sure on the voltage - think it was around 1.2v at 'auto') then my system sees the full available ram in the front screen splash, the bios, and in windows>system.

However, if I then overclock the CPU, even by .5ghz, I loose 2gb of the available ram. (Have been able to overclock the CPU to a stable 3.8ghz, and also got it up to 4ghz @ 48c idle temp)

The front splash screen and bios shows only 4gb (but as a 6 digit figure) and windows>system shows 6gb ram (4gb available).

I have overclocked the CPU manually and with the gigabyte EasyTune6 application and I still loose 2gb of ram.

I have used the recommended applications CPUID and the other relevant ones from the same site, and the dxdiag, msconfig, and msinfo32 and I can not see that the system is allocating the 2gb anywhere it shouldn't.

I’ve seen similar posts across the forums but can not see that there has been a resolve.

Does anyone have any other solutions/suggestions?

If you need any screen prints / exact figures please let me know and I will submit them to help as soon as i can.

Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom