iRacing Movie: Start... or finished?

Associate
I really liked it.

Apart from the popups and the clipping, you did a really good job.

Personally i would have prefered to have the engine noise a little louder, especially on the onboard shots.

Having never played iRacing, what's it like?

I never really got into rFactor, disappointed with the poor quality F1 mods, are there any decent F1 mods for it yet?

Soldato
I really liked it.

Apart from the popups and the clipping, you did a really good job.

Personally i would have prefered to have the engine noise a little louder, especially on the onboard shots.

I never really got into rFactor, disappointed with the poor quality F1 mods, are there any decent F1 mods for it yet?

No mods, but they do have a licence to produce the Williams FW31 (last years Williams F1 car), but that won't be out for several months yet, will be awesome though :)

iRacing is, imo, far superior to rFactor, both in graphics and more importantly the physics model

Nice little video that :) shame about that game.. some cars just seem to drive right through eachother without damage lol.. i prefer Live For Speed but defo nice video :)

That's just netcode, all the servers are in massachusetts, so it's ~100-130ms to get there, and the same again to get back to Andrew's replay, for the actual people involved then there'd be far less/no clipping and lack of damage (with really bad connections it is possible to go completely through a car without damage, but it's very very rare)

Soldato
OP
Apart from the popups and the clipping

With servers in the USA and with limitations on the number of cars ahead which my replay recorded (I think, anyway) there are always going to be annoying glitches. iRacing's netcode is ok, but far from perfect though. I did consider only using clips which were 'perfect', but to provide continuity that was very hard.

I also like to show things as they are, rather than how we'd like them to be.

When you start messing about with camera zoom (ie positioning the camera way back from the car and zooming in to make cars look closer together) it's impossible to get decent sound without spending an absolute age recording duplicate clips and matching them with the originals. I've tried it, and it's no fun whatsoever. :)

If there was money in this I might be more thorough, but there comes a point in every project where you have to say... nah, it'll do. :->

It is the very best simulation of the car on track experience available. However the service wrapped around that superb code is not to everyone's tastes. It's not really to mine, though you kind of get used to it. You have no choice. :)

The biggest problem for me is that I find very little satisfaction in all my other sims now (apart from blasting round The Ring in NFS:Shift). Many of them have features which are much, much better than iRacing. But it all comes down to how satisfying the cars are to drive. And iRacing is, IMO, by far the best.

It'd better be at the price! :)

are there any decent F1 mods for it yet?

There are no mods, full stop, ever. It's not that kind of sim. A kosher F1 car will be coming later in the year though. That may be interesting... in a lethal kind of way if Richard Hammond's real life experience is anything to go by.

shame about that game.. some cars just seem to drive right through eachother without damage lol

The average UK driver has a 100-125 ping, so that's a round trip of 200+, and at high speed that can have "interesting" effects. We live in hope that one day we'll be able to host races locally, but I think it'll be a long, long time before they relax enough to allow a more normal version of iRacing to be released. If ever. :-/

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys. Glad you enjoyed it.

Andrew McP

Soldato
OP
for the actual people involved then there'd be far less/no clipping and lack of damage

That's a very good point. If I'd got replays from every driver involved, chances are I'd have had better versions to work with. Some of those incidents were way down the field from me, and I suspect the netcode sends far fewer packets from those cars, as in a race I'd have no need to see them. Only the cars close to me need to be updated as regularly as possible.

I must make a note to try that next time I get the movie-making itch.

Andrew McP

Soldato
Great video plus editing and crazy props to you for investing your time and effort into making some entertainment for us web monkies

Soldato
Nice work Andrew_McP, polished and well put together..

Always wanted to try iRacing but can't seem to justify the outlay and monthly fee (Yes old and stingy I am)..

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom