Should i get a CORSAIR H50 need fast answer.

Associate
hi all i have my new pc on pre order the specs are

CoolerMaster HAF932
ASUS P6X58D Premium
Intel® Core™ i7 930 2.8GHz @ 3.8+

what im asking is will the corsair h50 be ok to keep this machine nice and cool?
or should i get them to change it to a noctua nh-u12p ?
my system is coming with a year warrent for parts and repair, But i want it to last a lot more then that after it.
please reply as it is on pre order. thanks in advance.

Associate
I believe a Thermalright Venomous X cooler with 2 akasa 120mm black fans one exhausting and one intaking will give better results than the corsair H50 and will last longer.

Soldato
i've never used or saw a corsair h50 in the flesh but they seem to be well thought off.
i use a tuniq tower 120 myself and it has been happily keeping my q6600 overclocked to 3.3ghz under 50c for about the last two years at 1500 rpm.

Associate
I love my H50, and there seem to be plenty of people who use it with an i7 920 @4GHz, so I'd say it's probably fine for you too.

Set it up as an intake in push with a single fan first and see what temps you get. The HAF has top exhausts right? A top exhaust is pretty essential if you're turning the rear exhaust into an intake.

The corsair supplied fan isn't brilliant, but it's okay. Something with high pressure but low noise like a gentle typhoon would probably give quite good results. The Apache's would be good too, but I plan to try the GT. If it still isn't cool enough, then try push-pull configuration with a second GT.

The price + noise of the H50 vs Venomous X setup is probably about the same ('cause the VX is really expensive for what it is). I'd go with the H50 just because it pleases my inner geek. It also takes up a heck of a lot less space than an air cooler, so doesn't obscure your ram slots etc. Less weight on your motherboard too, if you're bothered by that kind of thing.

If you did decide to go for air, I'd say opt for a Fenrir, because it's cheap and good.

Associate
The H50 is as good as the top air coolers, no better.

The advantage is that its quieter, put less strain on the mobo as you're only hanging a pump from it not a massive heatsink, it doesn't foul RAM slots and gives you room around your CPU.

However, you dont get the airflow across the mobo like you do with air cooling.

Id go for the H50, have one cooling a Q9550 @ 3.7Ghz, idles at 30c and i get high of around 60c in game.

My housemate has one on an i7 and has no complaints

Associate
OP
I don't have great knowledge over pc's do you mean to make the fan what comes with the h50 to blow into the case instead of out? ill have to reverse it? or one of the fans what is already supplied with the case?
the pc is coming already built. but i am sure i can turn a fan around if needed,lol
Yeah the main reason i wanted the h50 is to put less weight on the MOBO and so i can put ram cooler on.
Also should i pay them to fill the case with extra fans?

Associate
I don't have great knowledge over pc's do you mean to make the fan what comes with the h50 to blow into the case instead of out? ill have to reverse it? or one of the fans what is already supplied with the case?
the pc is coming already built. but i am sure i can turn a fan around if needed,lol
Yeah the main reason i wanted the h50 is to put less weight on the MOBO and so i can put ram cooler on.
Also should i pay them to fill the case with extra fans?

Probably cheaper to buy and fit fans yourself if you're happy to do it.
Corsair recommends you put the H50 radiator on the inside of an intake fan, so you have;

Outside of case --> FAN --> H50 Radiator --> Inside of case

with the direction of the arrows showing airflow. You of course need some way to get the hot air out of your case, so this works best if you have a top fan blowing air out.

Associate
OP
yslen thanks a lot for that mate, i have got what you wrote on print screen , and will do that when it comes, plus the HAF932 has a large fan on top so ill set that one for blowing air out of the case.

jij

jij

Associate
H50 works great for me. Idle temps ~32 deg. Full load ~64 deg (prime95). And you can tell people you have water cooled PC :)

Associate
If you want bragging rights of watercooling with no hassle, go for the H50. If you want a decently cooled system, build a custom water loop. If you want ease of installation and acceptable temps, go for mid to high end air.

Back
Top Bottom