Strange buzzing sound from my pc on startup! Help!

Associate
Started it up today and was confronted by a buzzing/whirring sound.. I rode it out till the machine had booted and gone into windows, where apon the buzzing slowly started to fade until it had dissappeared.

I've checked all the fans are spinning freely and they are so I guess the main culprit is the psu..? It's a 250w job. I can't remember the model of my pc it's a Shuttle but its a fairly old (2 years?) G2 model chassis.

Does anyone know if what I've described sounds like my psu is going? Another thing I've noticed recently is that when windows loads I'm getting graphics shearing..? Only at startup where the screen 'shears' intermitantly but then stops and is fine. Could this point to power spikes or something..? Therefore giving the psu idea more substance?

I don't think it's a capacitor whine as it doesn't appear when the system is under load, like when playing a game. I've just loaded Mass Effect and had a run around and it hasn't come back.

So like I said it just appears at boot up and then gradually fades away. I'm typing from my machine now and it's completely gone.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Associate
Could still be a fan, I've seen lots of older fans that are noisy on cold startup but then quieten down after a few minutes.

Take the sides off the case when you power it on and see if you can better discern where the noise is coming from, try stopping the fans gently with your finger for a second in order to locate the problem.

Back
Top Bottom