• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GeForce GT240 woes.

Associate
Hey guys. My first post on these boards and i am relatively new to upgrading any sort of technology.

My old ATI X1300 256M card recently died and decided to stop showing true black and so replaced it with a nasty green colour.
So i decided it was time for an upgrade.
Now i only use this computer for a few things and one game.
Il2 Sturmovik 1946.
The X1300 ran this game sufficiently so figured i could go a few steps higher and get th fullest out of it. So i went to the local PC World ( i now know this to a mistake) and was asked for a Nvidia 8800GTS, a card they no longer sold as it was not in production anymore. However the crafty sales assistant pointed me in the direction of the GT220. I bought it after being told that this "next gen" card would run all past games and future ones. I went home installed it all, put on the drivers and it booted beautifully, colours back to normal. I ran the game for a test and the game ran at about 15FPS....hmmmmm this is odd i thought. Surely i should do much better? I tried some online flying and there it was 2 FPS! Un-playable.
So me and anybody in the community who had any computer knowledge tried to get this card to do what it said on the box, with 1 gig of onboard RAM surerly this card would run an 8 year old game with its eyes closed?

I then discovered that my PC would no longer boot up correctly. It would first take its time, then go to a funny coloured screen which was grey and pixelated, this would stop, it would go to a blue screen and then it would reboot itself, ask me HOW i wanted to reboot and then on reaching the home screen tell me that windows had recovered from a fatal error.

So i took the card back and replaced it for the GT240. this card is also not fullfilling my expectations. Before i return this one i would like to know if i there is any other possible reason for my trouble?

I was asked about my power supple which is currently 450W, apparantly enough to run this card which requires a minimum of 300W.
I was also asked about RAM. RAM is 2 GiGs Corsair (no problems very good RAM)
My only other thought is my processor?
It is a Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80Ghz.

Thanks a lot.
Mini

Permabanned
Lol! This is not the time to be changing to the green team...
Sounds like you need something like a 4850/70 or a 5750/5770.

Soldato
Lol! This is not the time to be changing to the green team...
Sounds like you need something like a 4850/70 or a 5750/5770.
Take your ATI fanboylism somewhere else. There are plenty of other topics for you to troll nvidia, but for the love of god...don't post pointless stuffs like this here on a topic where the OP is in trouble and looking for genuine help.
In case you don't notice, people with ATI's 5670 (which is basically the same level card as the GT240) are having their fair share of problems too.

>Almostmini
Can you clarify on the part which you say the GT240 "is also not fullfilling my expectations"? Are you getting low frame rates or is it other issues?

Also, can you provide info on what res, quality level, mode are you trying to run the games in?

Associate
OP
FPS mainly.

Basically i cannot fly at all becuase it is running at 2 FPS near constantly.
Resolution in game is 1024 by 768
I'm used to run it on high with the ATI now just testing on medium.

Permabanned
@Marine
Lol, look it's not my fault Nvidia is crapping out left right & centre.

To cut a long story short the guy needs to return his GT240 and either get the cards I suggested or if he's hell bent on Nvidia something like the 9800 or 250
but Ati is obviously the better choice.

Caporegime
It's unfortunate in a way that you use your graphics card to play just one game otherwise you could test some other ones out.

Do you have any other games that you could try? O perhaps ones that you could borrow off a friend?

I would have thought that the 240 would effortlessly play your game.

Associate
Get a 4850 or a 5770. Or a second hand 8800gts like you mentioned. I imagine they will run it perfectly fine :).

You've hit the problem with asking the purple bridage anything, either he didn't know what he was talking about or he lied to you to sell the card.

I would also think the 240 would be fine but ho hum.. suggestions of trying other games are good if you can do so :). Might just be issues with that specific game.

Associate
Your processor is somewhat laclustre, however if it has run the games with a different GPU to an adequate level Im happy to say it isnt the problem. I can remmember playing that game on my single 2.8GHz + FX5200 lol.

What motherboard do you have? What resolution and settings are you running at?

I dont really have any first hand experience with the GT220/240s unfortunately but would be surprised to hear they cant cut it.

PS that particular retailer are full of crap. I did my work experience there a while back and had many an argument with them as they dished out false info. You should take their name down though - see forum rules re no competitors.

Associate
OP
I'm not sure what motherboard i am using sorry.
As i said fairly new at all this. I only learnt how to the the covers off of my case 2 weeks ago. Tehehe.

Permabanned
So did I.
Yes i did test FSX and it also plays crappy.
Sorry forgot to mention this.
Rhys. Helpful advice?

Yes it is... I'm saving you from wasting a load of time only to then finally return the card and get what was suggested.
It's just there are some guys in here that are a little sensitive over Nv criticism at the moment.

Soldato
Judging from the overall spec of your PC, I think it should definitely be capable of playing game that old.

And if you look at the following GT240 review:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1192/4/

The GT240 should be somewhat around 9600GT's performance level.

One thing I could imagine 'might' be a problem is the the GT240 (as well as HD5670) relies on the PCI-E slot to feed power to the card, and there 'might' be a probability that your motherboard is not feeding enough power to the card via the PCI-E.

I'm not a 100% sure on this, but I think you should probably try a card that uses external power (usings one or more 6-pins PCI-E connector from the power supply). In fact if possible, try to borrow a graphic card from a friend to test it.

Sidenote: what's the max resolution you wish to game at or the max your monitor would support?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Could i not just buy a different power supply to power it then? I looked on the side of my supply and it tells you the different wattages it supplies to certain areas, you think i should get one which supplies a good amount of power to the PCI slot?

Permabanned
^^^
You must really like being sent on wild goose chases... and wasting money!

If the performance of the card 'should' run the game then it is probably a driver issue in which case if it isn't fixed by now it will never be.
If it was a power issue the system would crash (Simples)

Too bad it's the only game you play, by all means carry on... but don't say I didn't warn you...

Last edited:
Soldato
The thing is that GT 240's design does not support external powering...even if your power supply had the PCI-E 6-pins connector, the GT 240 does not have a place for it to plug into. GT 240's design is solely powered by PCI-E slot...

On the other hand, let's assume it's not problem with the powering. What driver are you using for the GT 240? The one comes with the CD or downloaded off nvidia site? Brand/CD drivers could be idiotic at times and crippling the performance of the hardware.

Associate
Go to the NVidia website and download the latest drivers, not the 196.75 as mentioned though!

Ignore rhys216, he is the biggest troll going. The 240 should easily play that game no issues.

Back
Top Bottom