PSU Advice : ModXStream 600W or Silencer 610W

Associate
Hi,

I had an OCZ GameXStream (GXS) 700W PSU that was starting to make funny noises from the fan, so I managed to get it RMA'd to OCZ (which cost £30 to ship to the Netherlands!).

As they say they are out of stock of the GXS700, they are offering me the choice of two other PSUs:

- OCZ ModXStream 600W (similar design with large fan underneath, but also has modular cabling)
- PCP&C Silencer 610W (old fashioned design with 80mm fan on the back, but with an internal clearance area in front of it which is meant to make it much quieter by avoiding unnecessary turbulence)

Both fans are reactant to the temperature.

I've replied that I'm a bit unhappy about having to downgrade to a 600W power supply from a 700W one, and there's the option to "trade", which I'm guessing means that I could go for a ModXStream 700, or a Silencer 750 Quad if I part with some more cash.

Does anybody have any views as to which of the options might be best for me? I think connection-wise they all have the cables and stuff that I need, so it's really having a decent quality PSU (which I believe they all are), a good bit of headroom in the power stakes (I currently have a Phenom II x4 (125W?) CPU, 2 x hard disks, 3 x optical drives, GTS880, 2 case fans, and a 3 fan memory cooler).

I certainly don't want it to get any louder than it was with the GSX700 (so the prospect of the 80mm fan, regardless of good design, does worry me a little). Am I missing much moving from a 700W to a 600W supply?

I guess if somebody has had experience of the Silencer 610W, and can say it really is quiet, then that's a temptation - all the reviews seem to say it's a great PSU electrically, I just feel a bit miffed to have to pay £30 for a downgrade, that's all.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Cheers,

Steve

Permabanned
Ive got the 750W PC P&C and can confirm its an excellent PSU, Id definitely recomend going for the PC P&C over OCZ, though I reckon if you push hard enough they should offer the 750 in exchange

Associate
OP
Ive got the 750W PC P&C and can confirm its an excellent PSU, Id definitely recomend going for the PC P&C over OCZ, though I reckon if you push hard enough they should offer the 750 in exchange
So I shouldn't be put off by the 80mm fan? It's pretty much silent in operation?

I do get the impression that the OCZ PSU's are a bit more "glitzy", and the PCP&P are more of a electrically well-engineered option for people who are interested in a PSU delivering power, rather than looking pretty. Does that sound about right?

Cheers,

Steve.

Permabanned
yeah PC P&C are excellent, very little noise, only small thing is occasionally whilt PC is off theres a barely audible hum, room has to be silent and you have good hearing to hear it, and its intermittent, but yeah under normal operation its inaudible compared to rest of PC. They use much higher quality components, some of the best, shame theyre so hard to get hold of nowadays. But yeah you dont need to worry bout the 80mm fan, its a quality fan well mounted so no noise

Associate
OP
Looks like I might be stuffed. The options are to take one of the two 600/610W PSUs, or a wait for a month or more because they have no stock. Looks like the "PowerSwap" stuff is marketing waffle - I won't be hurrying back to purchase OCZ kit in future unless they sort this out soon.

Cheers,

Steve.

Associate
OP
Looks like I might be stuffed. The options are to take one of the two 600/610W PSUs, or a wait for a month or more because they have no stock. Looks like the "PowerSwap" stuff is marketing waffle - I won't be hurrying back to purchase OCZ kit in future unless they sort this out soon.

Cheers,

Steve.
Just realised I didn't up date this thread at the time - to be fair to OCZ, they ended up swapping it out for a Z850M power supply, so although I had to wait a few weeks, I did end up with a higher spec PSU than I started with.

Perhaps I would give them another chance next time I need to get a PSU.

Cheers,

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom