Focus problem - Power loss / Speedo

Soldato
Having a problem with my Focus, after about 5 minutes of driving it starts doing random things ;

- Speedo drops to 0
- When drops it loses power so if/when I have to stop (put the clutch down) it usually stalls

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

24885_345174248597_727038597_3760563_4340516_n.jpg

Soldato
OP
Forgot to mention that they happen at the same time. The speedo drops and I lose power. When the speedo comes back to life, the power comes back...

Soldato
OP
Drops down instantly mate. Then, on occasion, it'll shoot up, down drop, shoot up ... kinda random.

Soldato
JanseyB will probably know the answer to this.

It's happened a couple times to me, but not recently.

Think it's something to do with the ECU and most dealerships will update the firmware iirc.

Associate
Thinking about it, it does sound ECU related. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for around half an hour? Let the ECU reset and this could possibly cure the problem?

Liam

Soldato
OP
Thinking about it, it does sound ECU related. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for around half an hour? Let the ECU reset and this could possibly cure the problem?

Liam

No, but I will later on :) Come to think of it, it did happen after I got a new battery a few months back.

Soldato
Vehicle speed sensor, plugs into the top of the diff and is made from cheese.

Yep. This is a definately a faulty VSS, common fault on the Mk1/.5 Focus. Part costs about £30 and can be replaced yourself, although it can be a pain to get to. Any good garage should be able to diagnose and fix it though.

Associate
This will be the speed senser mine did the same, the loss of power I guess would be the ecu failing over into a fail safe mode, as the others said about a £70 garage fix.

Soldato
Doesn't the standard Ford radio have a volume control that's linked to vehicle speed, from the same sensor? If the radio volume does odd things at the same time as the other odd things, that's the speed sensor for sure.

Back
Top Bottom