930 Build. Please Spec me

Associate
I’m back to the UK week after next and will finally buy the new PC that I intended to get last year.

If affordable, I’d like the system pre-built by Overclockers and overclocked @ 4.00 GHz. I don’t know how much they would charge for this? Only I’d like it ready for when I get back with minimal messing!

Going to use it for gaming and Video Editing/Encoding.

Parts I’ve pretty much settled on are:

Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower Case
Intel Core i7 930
Sony Optiarc AD-7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe Optical Drive (Black) - OEM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - OEM
Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard

I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB to use for now. However, I intend to upgrade in the future to a high end card such as an ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048MB and also add 1 or 2 additional HDD’s and possibly a BR Writer. So the PSU I get now would need to comfortably be able to handle that.

My Monitor is a 24” NEC.

So really, I’m looking for advice on the missing parts that offer good value, performance.

I don’t know how powerful the PSU should be, whether to go for Corsair, Seasonic or BeQuiet etc.

Should I make use of one of the Overclockers Bundles?, such as:

This:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-044-OE&groupid=43&catid=339&subcat=1675

or this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-003-CS&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=

Do I go for a Samsung 320/500GB boot drive for speed, or is the difference minimal and I should just get a 1TB? Will probably add SSD in the future.

Permabanned
Id recomend looking at the £1500 build in my log if youre happy to build yourself, if you can afford to stretch that far, add in OS and mouse/kb
If you want a prebuilt system then look at basing it on the hydra

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot 95thrifles, I did look at your log before.

Apologies, by saying pre-built, I actually meant I'd like to ask Overclockers to build me a PC using chosen components. Ideally I would like it ready to go when I arrive back to the UK. I've been away for 8 months and will have a lot to do. I'd rather spend my free time using the machine than building and learning how to overclock etc.

How about this? I'd like to keep the cost roughly around this figure if possible, but would be willing to stretch to £1,200 if worth it.

44928789.jpg

21920525.jpg

The Corsair Extreme bundle has a 850 Watt PSU included. Would this be sufficient for the additions I intend to make in the future?

I'd be willing to swap out the HDD for a smaller (320/500GB) Boot drive if it would make much difference to speed and get an additional storage drive in the future when I need it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The corsair bundle is very nice, though the 800d is a very expensive case, the hx 850w psu is a corker, just fitted one into my i7 rig last night. Case and cooler wise id suggest theese.

Case
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-171-LL&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=187

Cooler
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-067-TR&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

Youll have to add 1/2 fans on the cooler, i currently have the same case and cooler on my i7 920 at 4ghz, very nice combo.

Associate
OP
Thanks setter.

However, I personally don't like cases with loads of lights! Besides, I have the PC in the room I sleep and generally have it running all the time. I prefer something simple and understated, but still looking smart.

The only other cases I can think of that I like are the Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W or Fractal Design, only I don't think they would be able to comfortably fit a big graphics card like the 5970. Despite the cost I've decided to hell with it and to splash out on the Corsair Obsidian. I'll probably regret in later otherwise.

Associate
I got this a couple of days ago.

Intel Core i7 930, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58,OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9

The new 930 stock clocks matches the performance of my old qx6800 quad when it was clocked at 3.8 so im very impressed.

Associate
800D is a fantastic case, especially if you decide to custom watercool at a later date, its expensive, but I really am glad I bought mine, its simple, clean and does what it says on the tin without needing to look like the enterance to a brothel like most 'gaming' cases.

Back
Top Bottom