DNS Issues?

Soldato
For the last 24 hours or so, I've been having issues with my internet (Virgin 10Mb cable). Twice its just dropped me, going to the belkin router page, it tells me there's no internet connection, but the lights on the front of the NTL cable modem are all correct. So, unplug it for 30 seconds, stick it back in and most things seem to be working, except for google. Gmail works fine, I just checked, just no google, firefox gives a 'Server not found' error. I tried to ping it, and all I got was:

'Ping request could not find host www.google.co.uk. Please check the name and try again.'

Other websites work fine though, including OcUK obviously, but I'm trying to figure out what this means. Only thing I can think of would be DNS issues? Though I'm guessing its also connected with the internet dropping, which is probably not a DNS issue?

Associate
Perhaps first thing to try is flush your dns cache on your local computer and then try google again.

To flush goto a DOS prompt and type: ipconfig /flushdns

Soldato
OP
Ah, that seems to have got it working, but my connection seems rather sluggish now. My HL2 cinematic mod torrent has dropped from around 500kb/s to 15kb/s, though speedtest.net tells me I'm still going at 1075kb/s
I guess this is just one of those things, eh?

Associate
Glad you got it working, but unfortunately there are many reasons why torrents might be downloading quickly or not. If it's a torrent with lots of full sources, then monitor your connection for a few hours and hopefully the speed will pick up again.

Soldato
OP
Glad you got it working, but unfortunately there are many reasons why torrents might be downloading quickly or not. If it's a torrent with lots of full sources, then monitor your connection for a few hours and hopefully the speed will pick up again.

Yeah, looks like its simple demand > Supply. there's 10 peers for each seed. Ah well.

And NathanE, what benefit would moving to OpenDNS have exactly? Its just faster loading web pages because I get the DNS faster, and is that it?

Soldato
OP
Earlier I didn't think they had, but I believe I am now. Even starting up uTorrent brings everything to a crawl and I barely hit 10kb/s download speed. Speedtest also reports 300kb/s download and 13kb/s upload. I hate them >_>

Back
Top Bottom