What can i do!? - Car Crash

Soldato
Hey guys, recently i had a minor collision with my car, it was my fault, i pulled out at a bad time totally not seeing the woman driving towards me, I don't know how i missed seeing her but its done now and i accepted the blame.

Anyway we sorted our damages etc and no claims had to be made on the insurance. However, next thing i know this morning is a letter from her solicitor saying she is claiming medical compensation....this, after she had stated numerous times it was 'ok aslong as no ones hurt'

she was clearly 100% fine, and several witnesses, outside of the area i was driving (who i know) as well as people down at the garage where we took our cars to get quoted on 10 mins later have all seen her walking hunky dory like no ones business. It was about a 15mph knock, if that. Like seriously the most minor collision you could wish for.

As it stands her claim would mean our insurance pay out, with no excess paid, but it would leave my dad with 1 strike (as i am just a named driver) out of 3 before his no claims is affected.

Do i have a chance in hell of stopping her doing it? Its the most rediculous medical compensation claim i've come across, theres literally no basis for it, just her cheating the system, it feels almost illegal :mad:

Thankyou, sorry if its a long read!

Caporegime
I'm afraid I can speak from personal experience in saying you can be absolutely fine at the scene of the accident, a day after the accident - even two days after an accident.

But then the pain can come...

Associate
She could say that the injury has come on after ( like most whiplass cases do ) as they are very much a delayed reaction. Might not be much you can do if she goes to doctors and has checks done and she does turn out to be injured.

Soldato
Welcome to the american way of life, imo yes she can get away with this and it's a fact of life that if your in a collision no matter how minor you can get yourself a couple of grand for injuries sustained whether or not you have sustained any. This also works if you want to claim incapacity benefits, let's admit it most of the people claiming that are more than capable of work. :)

Soldato
OP
yeah true, but i dont know if she does have doctors evidence. The isnruance compan yseem fine and dandy to just pay it.But we are yet to even get the finalised documents stating what she has and any evidence for this. So surley they'd have to wait for that, but the insurance company seem keen to just pay out and be done with it. And im sure theyll delay final solicitor documents to us as much as possible as they know just how much a loose claim it will be

Soldato
The insurance company will send her to a "doctor" to be assessed, she will claim off your insurance, suck it up, be alpha your insurance will pay welcome to life. :)

Soldato
Yet more crap that pushes all our premiums up though. It's not right, but there isn't really much you can do about it.

Soldato
OP
Persoanlly i'm off scott free. My no claims are fine and its cost me £300 and given me a lot of experience for the future. But for my dad to be hit with a strike on his insurance because some n*** at her healthcare centre job have tipped her off (and will blates pass her as injured) that she can get a payout is just harsh for him!

Soldato
This has been an ongoing issue for years, people can claim injury/illness and get money whether it be an accident or a benefit out of the governments coffers, it as said pushes up your premiums but I bet you a penny to a pound of pig **** if it happened to you, you would claim of the other person if it meant a couple of grand in your back pocket.

Soldato
OP
Yeah basically both my parents and i are insured. But for some reason her claiming compensation they will pay it out under ym dads name and not me on the isnurance. Weve made fully clear that it is I who crashed though and confirmed the names etc.

Soldato
Yeah basically both my parents and i are insured. But for some reason her claiming compensation they will pay it out under ym dads name and not me on the isnurance. Weve made fully clear that it is I who crashed though and confirmed the names etc.

Because it's his policy and you're only a named driver.

Associate
Have you already given her any money for the accident? Would suck if you already paid her for the damage of the car AND you have a claim against you. A claim is a claim so if she is going to claim you'd want your insurers to pay to fix your car! Unless it's below your excess, as IIRC there is no excess on third party claims in the UK.

Anyway few years ago I knocked into some old bloke at minimal speed and I said I would send him a cheque for £100 to fix the scratch on his bumper. At the roadside he was so nice about it that he said not to worry and it was only a scratch on an old car, but I felt sorry for him at the time so said I'd pay to get it painted. Anyway next day I had an abusive voicemail message saying he had whiplash and could not drive to work and he was going to have to rest for a week. The morning after that I SAW HIM driving, anyway I got ****ed off with him. I had one thing up my sleeve in that he didn't have the registration of my car (he was all nice at the side of the road and said he didn't need it) so anyway got the legal department at my brother's company to draft a document for him to sign if he wanted the £100

It was :

I (NAME OF BLOKE I HIT, ADDRESS OF BLOKE) was involved in a Road Traffic collision with (MY NAME, ADDRESS) (ON DATE, TIME)

I accept payment of £100 from (MY NAME)

By accepting this payment I agree to waive any right to future claims in tort, contract or otherwise against (my name) or his insurers. I also agree payment constitutes full and final settlement of all claims by myself or my insurers.

It is acknowledged that the payment is made by (MY NAME) as a gesture of goodwill and in no way represents an acceptance of liability. All rights of (MY NAME) remain reserved.

Signed, dated, witnessed etc

Last edited:
Associate
Persoanlly i'm off scott free. My no claims are fine and its cost me £300 and given me a lot of experience for the future. But for my dad to be hit with a strike on his insurance because some n*** at her healthcare centre job have tipped her off (and will blates pass her as injured) that she can get a payout is just harsh for him!

You won't be off scott free... you'll have to report that you had an accident when you next renew your insurance which may (will) push up your premiums :(

Soldato
Did you pay her for material damage to the car before the medical claim reared its head - if you have then that could be seen as a settlement... have you spoken to your insurance company? if not I would not inform them and send a letter to her solicitor that the initial payment was in full and final settlement, and see what they come back with.

Soldato
Anyway we sorted our damages etc and no claims had to be made on the insurance. However, next thing i know this morning is a letter from her solicitor saying she is claiming medical compensation....this, after she had stated numerous times it was 'ok aslong as no ones hurt'

she was clearly 100% fine, and several witnesses, outside of the area i was driving (who i know) as well as people down at the garage where we took our cars to get quoted on 10 mins later have all seen her walking hunky dory like no ones business. It was about a 15mph knock, if that. Like seriously the most minor collision you could wish for.

Sorry, but that doesn't mean a lot. You'd just pulled out into her path and she was likely in shock at the time pumped up on Adrenaline.

Someone pulled out into the path of a car with three of my family members in it recently. Once over the shock the two in the front seemed fine for a couple of days then started with chest and abdomen pains due to the seatbelt pre-tensioners, and one is having stlll having neck problems.

It's possible she's hamming it up to get a nice compensation claim, and if so I don't condone this, however I believe they deserve benefit of the doubt. Leave it to the insurance companies to decide, it's not like any extra £'s on the claim will affect your policy directly.

Associate
Sorry, but that doesn't mean a lot. You'd just pulled out into her path and she was likely in shock at the time pumped up on Adrenaline.

Someone pulled out into the path of a car with three of my family members in it recently. Once over the shock the two in the front seemed fine for a couple of days then started with chest and abdomen pains due to the seatbelt pre-tensioners, and one is having stlll having neck problems.

It's possible she's hamming it up to get a nice compensation claim, and if so I don't condone this, however I believe they deserve benefit of the doubt. Leave it to the insurance companies to decide, it's not like any extra £'s on the claim will affect your policy directly.

Yeah to be honest when I got run over I told everyone I was fine, even refused to be taken to hospital in an ambulance. An hour later my arm felt awful, turned out I had a massive break in it, had to have two operations on it.... But the car that hit me was going about 30mph, and then I got thrown onto the concrete. If I can get away with a broken arm god only knows what injuries she would have got from a 15mph crash. I really do think it's almost impossible to hurt yourself at that speed in a modern car!

Soldato
Yeah to be honest when I got run over I told everyone I was fine, even refused to be taken to hospital in an ambulance. An hour later my arm felt awful, turned out I had a massive break in it, had to have two operations on it.... But the car that hit me was going about 30mph, and then I got thrown onto the concrete. If I can get away with a broken arm god only knows what injuries she would have got from a 15mph crash. I really do think it's almost impossible to hurt yourself at that speed in a modern car!

The car with family in was doing around 25mph when someone pulled out from the side road without looking directly into their path. No chance for them to brake. The airbags didn't deploy, but the seat belt pre-tensioners went off which is what hurt them. I suppose I'd rather get severe bruising from the pre-tensioners than hit something more solid.

Back
Top Bottom