Any DMX kids on OcUK?

DMX is the protocol that controls disco lighting. I picked it up as a hobby in 2005, starting off with 4 led par cans and Behringer desk. In mid 2007, I changed from the Behringer to computer software + DMX-to-USB interface. At the moment, I have two stage blinders (12R 12G 12B 3W LEDs each), an Astro LED mirror ball, an Antari fogger, an EVO 5 projector and two LED bars, all DMX. I did also used to have a couple of moving heads but recent redundancy/unemployment forced the sale of those :( I will expand when I'm working again. OcUK is a well-attended board, so I'm hoping that there are other DMX hobbiests who can compare notes.

Soldato
I have looked around at DMX lighting when I was doing mobile DJing, then I stopped doing that, and looked at getting some DMX lighting for my house, 'cause I can :p . But haven't got round to that either!

Any pointers on what to get etc. would be good. Computer controlled of course :D

Soldato
OP
Hi DJ Binks. What sort of music do you mix? If it's house or trance, then I would be more serious about lighting than with most other genres. I would start off with searching for LED bars. They generate an animated display using RGB LEDs. Have them set up by your decks, either 1 on each side of the decks or have them directly in front of / below the decks. I wouldn't spend big bucks on them - go to an auction site and look for ex-demo stock. When you have a bit more money, search for "moving head" on the auctions. Get 2 or 4 (or any even number) of those and they'll prove quite an impact on your DJ set. You wanna skip the DMX desk and go straight to computer controlled? I use DMX Wizard 1024. At £499, it doesn't come cheap, but it includes the hardware interface for your computer. Good luck Binks. Any questions, just ask!

Soldato
I work for a lighting, staging, sound & events supplier in edinburgh.

I sort of know about this stuff, but since Iam mostly a warehouse monkey, dont really know much about it, can hook it all up, test it etc, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Soldato
Part of my job involves doing projection & sound in a theatre, so I work closely with the lighting technician. I know about DMX, but I don't really use it. My projection & sound system uses MSC and Midi. Currently have a Mac Pro running QLab with an RME Raydat soundcard, feeding 16 channels of sound to a Yamaha LS9 sound desk. I can control the desk via Midi, so I can automate thinks like switching channels on and off. The Mac Pro also has 2 dual head GPUs providing 6 lines of video output. Currently have it set up as 2 editing screens, 1 output on to the stage floor, 1 to a fixed projector in the rigging, and the final 2 to projectors on robotic arms, controlled by the lighting desk (so DMX controlled).

:)

Back
Top Bottom