• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why do people feel the need to offer bad advice on upgrades?

Caporegime
OP
I'd rather stretch to i5 over i3 to be honest.

Depends on price points and budget.

Well, regarding that example I've shown with 5970, the same goes with CPUs - you see, if an i3 or i5, or whatever athlonII or pII does the job right and is more than you'll ever want for a certain task, then why bother with i7 ?

You seem to be hung up on i7...If does more than just game...Look at the socket...look at the full 16x Xfire options...One is just not buying the chip.

However at i5 750 pricing there is no reason to buy Phenom II 965 or AMD .

Just because you can afford it, doesn't mean you have to buy it.
Buying best you can afford isn't really a good advice.

Buying the best for your money is.

There are a lot more factors to it and what I don't understand is when you say: get i7 if you can afford it. But what's the point? If a lower end CPU will do the job just as well? Future proofing is a nonsense and in most cases, especially in gaming the difference is minimal or next to 0.

If you have the funds then why not? They might not drink,smoke,play games....They might buy HD cameras and want to video edit.

The same can be said coming from this standpoint...I work all month I have money spare and I want a PC.....why should I buy midrange when I can have top end?

Your ideology is flawed on many levels.

Not everyone wants to play games. Not everyone wants mid range.

Some people have the view...."well I don't have anything else to spend my money on" so why not.

Caporegime
OP
What is really annoying is when people say "you don't need that much power" or "you don't need to spend that much" etc...........How the **** do you know?
Then they go on to offer them something that is clearly a brand loyalty suggestion. :mad:
Wether they use that much power for a couple of hours per week or not has nothing to do with it, if it does the job in the shortest time available/best quality/speed etc and that's what they want then thats fine if it's what they've asked for.
It's people trying to TELL people what they do and don't need and shove them down a certain path where they might not want to go that's really annoying. :mad:

I'm glad I have the knowledge to get my own equipment as I really feel for the people that know next to nothing and have to tread through a mine field of choices before even getting close to a decision.

Totally agree.

Its not my fault they are all poor and choose AMD rigs:p

Some of us and many OP starters have 600 to spend on a MOBO chip and ram bundle...

And yet...without fail the AMD crowds come in and downspec the person to a mid range AMD cause " they don't need that much power"

I agree 100% who ******** says I don't need that much power? ...I wanna spend some money FFS...

Caporegime
OP
Here is a suggestion, don't ASK someone what you should get ...

Why on earth not?

People have every right to ask people in the know what's the best kit to buy for their hard earned cash.

Most of the time its not AMD stuff. Its cheap and performs slower across the board compared to other routes.

Deal with it.

Stick to facts...don't let emotion dictate your posts and then it becomes easy.

Soldato
Why on earth not?

People have every right to ask people in the know what's the best kit to buy for their hard earned cash.

Most of the time its not AMD stuff. Its cheap and performs slower across the board compared to other routes.

Deal with it.

Stick to facts...don't let emotion dictate your posts and then it becomes easy.

Except that AMD kit does not perform worse on a speed per pound basis most of the time

Associate
Totally agree.

Its not my fault they are all poor and choose AMD rigs:p

Some of us and many OP starters have 600 to spend on a MOBO chip and ram bundle...

And yet...without fail the AMD crowds come in and downspec the person to a mid range AMD cause " they don't need that much power"

I agree 100% who ******** says I don't need that much power? ...I wanna spend some money FFS...

Yes as intelligent human beings, most people usually decide how much they want to put aside for their new computer and get the most from that budget, it's one of the first processes our brain makes, we don't say "how much can I save if I don't buy x,y,z for example.

It's normally "Demand>Choices>Purchase"

Only last week I was "reviewing" GPU's as I wanted more power as a GTX 280 while being a great card, it wasn't getting the quality I wanted at the frame rates I wanted (60fps) so I eventually came to the decision to get a 5970 as a 5870 was not enough of a step forward to warrant the £300+ I'd need to spend, and Nvidia only had the GTX 295.
I had my keys, wallet and phone in my hand and was about to go and buy a 5970 when luckily I found some reviews with the 5970 and GTX 285 which left me feeling that the 5970 was not really that much of a step up too, especially for the £500+ is would have cost.

I could have easilly asked for advice and had loads of persuasions of "get a 5870 as it destroys your GTX 280" from RavenXXX or whatever his name is, but not because he's offerning good imparcial advice but bcause he clearly hates Nvidia (like AMD fanboy's hate Intel) as his sig shows, which is not right for the community, but anyway I decided to see what Nvidia would bring out instead (untill yesterday when Fatboy dangled a GTX 280 infront of us that was too tempting) :cool:

Soldato
You seem to be hung up on i7...If does more than just game...Look at the socket...look at the full 16x Xfire options...One is just not buying the chip.

-Yes, that's right, because you tell everyone to buy i7 if they can afford it, even if i5 will be clearly the better choice for less ?

However at i5 750 pricing there is no reason to buy Phenom II 965 or AMD .

Depends which parts you pick, I wouldn't buy 965 with 150quid mobo, would rather pick the i5 here too for the same price, but if you drop the mobo to cheaper one which will do just as fine then you can save up to 70-80quid which can already allow you for better GPU or fit in lower budget.

If you have the funds then why not? They might not drink,smoke,play games....They might buy HD cameras and want to video edit.

- Why not ? If you aren't going to use that extra power than it makes no difference for you whatsoever and therefore you just wasted your cash, could just as well throw it in the bin - that's why not.

The same can be said coming from this standpoint...I work all month I have money spare and I want a PC.....why should I buy midrange when I can have top end?

-same as above, if you aren't going to use it, then it makes no difference whatsoever. i7 won't run WoW better than i3 or athlon II, both will be 100% smoothly playable and you won't be able to see the difference without looking at benchmarks.

Your ideology is flawed on many levels.
- or maybe you just don't understand it ?

Not everyone wants to play games. Not everyone wants mid range.
- I've never said that ?

Some people have the view...."well I don't have anything else to spend my money on" so why not.
- that's another totally different point that's got nothing to do with this thread and again depends on variety of circumstances.

Associate
Fun thread!

Don't forget Intel has a rep for changing their socket every time they bring out a new product. I'm still using my AM2+ board, and it's still compatible with everything AMD is making.

Also, wondering what games you guys are playing that need quad cores? Surely you'd have to be using a very powerful GPU for one of these recent AMD dual cores to become a bottleneck?

Permabanned
Anyone who recommends any CPU by AMD, or Graphics Card by Nvidia is currently giving bad advice. This is always subject to change in the future, but right now there is something good provided in every price category by P55, X58, and ATI 5700 and 5800 cards.

When I see anything better and competitive released by AMD or Nvidia, my opinion will change, but with good honest advice, I couldnt recommend any of their current miserable products.

Soldato
Anyone who recommends any CPU by AMD, or Graphics Card by Nvidia is currently giving bad advice. This is always subject to change in the future, but right now there is something good provided in every price category by P55, X58, and ATI 5700 and 5800 cards.

When I see anything better and competitive released by AMD or Nvidia, my opinion will change, but with good honest advice, I couldnt recommend any of their current miserable products.

No. 2 camels in a tiny car.

Caporegime
OP
easyrider has a long history of creating threads that he knows will spark heated discussion

Sometimes unless someone brings it up for discussion...people will still be buying inferior hardware suggested to them my company hugging sycophants.

Rather than a clinical analysis of what's the best kit for their budget.

Soldato
It's not about being best kit for budget, it's about being best kit for the job while minimising costs and still coming in within the budget.
And frankly nothing requires i7 at the moment, i5 or Phenom 2 are the best tools for most jobs, and cost far less.

Caporegime
OP
And frankly nothing requires i7 at the moment,

Nonsense.

I find it easy to max out all my cores when running Adobe production studio with a rewire Reason 4 running 25 virtual synths and 2 drumboxes.:confused:

Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

Or are you just assuming that everyone here on ocuk just plays games?

It's not about being best kit for budget, it's about being best kit for the job while minimising costs and still coming in within the budget

What about the people who just want to spend their own money on the best kit for that money.

This is a basic human need.

You also failed to mention i3 again....What about someone wanting to build a silent HTPC...i3 no good for them? even though it can decode HD master audio onboard? uses less power and runs cooler.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I would say:

I3 + ATI 5570 or 5670 for a HTPC, Media or light use build which still has a little gaming potential.

I5 + Xfire 5770s for mid range gaming build.

I7 + 5850 / 5870 for enthusiast high end.

Budget conscious people like me can also pick up a decent I7 + Xfire 5770 rig for a good price.

Also keeping an eye on this week only offers really helps to cut costs down, and selling your second hand parts for £5-10 less per £50 of the brand new retail price can help you with those upgrades.

Last edited:
Associate
Not all all.

I'm highlighting a point that if you want to to suggest upgrade advice do so without emotion.

Do it based on FACT.

ok this WAR seems to all of started around my previous thread. asking for advice on upgrade.

i do see easyrider's point!
quick comment to easyrider: most poeple coming on this site are not the normal "we buy Dell Celerons PC" type person.

to put it simple, ive been away from the tech for some years now.
AMD/Nvidia fan back then, only because intel were crap.

i can easierly spend £4000 on a system if i wanted to, however im not stupid like that.

AMD offers a bonus of dual to quad unlock (on the 555, although its a gamble)
Intel offers performance at stock on i7, and good OCing. but more expensive

I am not a OCer, (although i might try this time) mainly because back with old hardware you could break it by just breathing near it!

im looking for a "CPU GPU MOBO RAM" upgrade so i have a medium to high PC
im not talking low end or stupid high end.

Pii965 or I7 930 (kinda waiting for the 6 cores, to make a choice)
4Gb-6GB ram
ATI 5850 or nvidia maybe (no DX11 on theirs)

AM3 may offer better socket lifepsan as well
And intel mobos seem expensive compared to AMD

Last edited:
Soldato
I would say:

I3 + ATI 5570 or 5670 for a HTPC, Media or light use build which still has a little gaming potential.

I5 + Xfire 5770s for mid range gaming build.

I7 + 5850 / 5870 for enthusiast high end.

i3 + 5670, how about x3 435 with 5770 ? wouldn't that be better for gaming in the same budget? : )

See it all depends, you not gonna go far into gaming with 5670, unless you play at 1024x768.

Wait a sec, why are we recommending i3 for HTPC builds? :confused:

Because intel CPUs are the only choice on the market now and AMD CPUs are slow and useless and not worth buying ??
At least that's what easyrider told me !

If you want cheap HTPC you either have to buy 2nd hand c2d setup or stretch to i3 because athlon II/ sempron is a nono.

ok this WAR seems to all of started around my previous thread. asking for advice on upgrade.

i do see easyrider's point!
quick comment to easyrider: most poeple coming on this site are not the normal "we buy Dell Celerons PC" type person.

to put it simple, ive been away from the tech for some years now.
AMD/Nvidia fan back then, only because intel were crap.

i can easierly spend £4000 on a system if i wanted to, however im not stupid like that.

AMD offers a bonus of dual to quad unlock (on the 555, although its a gamble)
Intel offers performance at stock on i7, and good OCing. but more expensive

I am not a OCer, (although i might try this time) mainly because back with old hardware you could break it by just breathing near it!

im looking for a "CPU GPU MOBO RAM" upgrade so i have a medium to high PC
im not talking low end or stupid high end.

Pii965 or I7 930 (kinda waiting for the 6 cores, to make a choice)
4Gb-6GB ram
ATI 5850 or nvidia maybe (no DX11 on theirs)

AM3 may offer better socket lifepsan as well
And intel mobos seem expensive compared to AMD

Yes as you can see my main point with 555 or 435 here, was that it is still plenty fast CPU and with the money saved, you can get a cheap upgrade to the incoming CPUs later this or next year as there will be plenty of new stuff coming to AM3 in all sockets, incluing new x2s x3s, x4s and 6 cores.

Future proofing is BS.
You don't buy self built OC PC to keep it for 5yrs, people that keep PCs for 5yrs are the ones buying dells, especially that it became so cheap nowadays, you can get a good machine for 400-500quid that will play newest games just fine so heck, you can throw 2grand on a PC and in 1,5-2yrs it will get outscored by 400quid rig anyways.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom