Is RAID 0 worth it?

Associate
I've been given two 80Gb 7200rpm discs.
My new mainboard ( Gigaybyte GA-EP45-UD3LR) now has RAID. For normal everyday use would I see any boosts running my windows install in a RAID 0 format over these discs?
One disc is a Maxtor and the other a Barracuda.
Also silly question how difficult is it to set up RAID if you've never used it?

Soldato
I'm pretty sure you want to be using the exact same disks when making a RAID array. I don't think combining a maxtor and a barracuda will work.

Also, what interface do these disks use, IDE or SATA.

And finally, what is your current system disk?

Soldato
Ah, cool. In that case I would certainly stick with the single 500GB drive. It will have a much higher density platters and more cache than the 80GBs, so even if you could get the 80GBs to RAID 0 - the 500GB would still be faster. Also, a system with a single OS disk boots up faster than one using an OS RAID array.

Associate
RAID 0 on mechanical hard drives is not going to give a huge boost. The main reason the WD sold the Raptor series was to increase boot time over conventional HDDs, 2 normal 7200RPM drives is not going to benefit you enough for the potential hassle if one fails.

Soldato
i have always used the rule of never have the same disks in an array, Well same brand disks.

Never had any issues, but using that rule i have never exp. with two drives of the same flavour.

Back
Top Bottom