Using 27" iMac screen as a monitor for a PC

Associate
Hi.

recently sold all my PC kit for a lovely new 27" iMac. On the whole no regrets, and I thought for the few games I want to play the 4850 would be OK.

I have been doing some searching on how to connect a PC to the 27" iMac's display port, but I cannot find anything concrete, that's to say someone who has achieved this and documented what they did, what cable they used and what GFX card was used.

All I seem to be able to find is people trying this with very little success

Anyone here tried this or seen any threads about this. had a look on here but could not seem to find what I am looking for. Also posted this on the macrumors site too.

Cheers

Associate
To be honest I was considering getting myself the 27" iMac too and use it as a screen for another computer(PC)....Have you tried a Display Port to DVI adapter? I think Apple sells their own adapters. As far as I am concerned, you also need to have the iMac turned on...even if you want to use it as a screen only. Not the most convenient solution...

Associate
OP
Hi, my son has a 5770 which has DVI, HDMI and also a display port on it. I have Mini DP to DVI adapter from when I had my MBP, but that did not work. from what I have just read on the apple forum is that you will need a DP to M-DP cable which I am trying to see where its sold in the UK

Soldato
has anyone seen a UK seller for a display port to mini DP cable?

I just found one in about 10 seconds for £5.50. Just Google "displayport to mini displayport" and go to products.

Good to know...In this case I'm no longer interested :(

To be fair, most new cards will have DisplayPort. The entire 5xxx range does and I'm sure Fermi will.

Associate
OP
I just found one in about 10 seconds for £5.50. Just Google "displayport to mini displayport" and go to products.

To be fair, most new cards will have DisplayPort. The entire 5xxx range does and I'm sure Fermi will.

Cheers. I have seen the error of my way and have found them. Cheers

I am going to order one and try it on my sons ATI 5770

Associate
OP
I already have an iMac and don't really want to sell it for a pc. I have got a cable coming on Tuesday so will see what happens then

Associate
I asked this question a while back on a mac forum and was told the iMac can't be used as an external display :(

It would be awesome as a gaming screen for my gaming PC and as my work station screen all the other time.

Please keep this thread update with how you get on, this could persuade me to imac land.

Associate
OP
The cable should be here today so I will update this post later when I get home

I have read on a few other forums that it can be done so fingers crossed, but might depend on your GFX card

Associate
OP
OK. cable arrived and plugged in and low and behold, nothing. While dissapointed I am not surprised.

This is what happens.. do the CMD + F2 screen goes black, I hear the 2 tone noise that Win7 makes when it finds new hardware and thats ya lot...

Not sure if this is a Apple Feature or an ATI Feature, but this statement take from apple Features Page about the iMac is not quite true

Mini DisplayPort.
The Mini DisplayPort lets you connect an external display, including the Apple LED Cinema Display, to your iMac. On the 27-inch iMac, the same port offers input, too. So you can connect any external source that has DisplayPort output — including a MacBook or MacBook Pro — and use your iMac as a display

Back
Top Bottom