DxDiag question... CPU clock speed?

Associate
...Does DxDiag report the correct CPU clock speed, even if you've OC's your CPU?

I've got a odd issue on my Q6600 that I "thought" I'd OC'd to 3.5ghz, where upon running BC2 in single player mode if I let the intro run its course and just land on the beach, without moving at all Fraps reckons I've got 39fps. (this is with my Q6600 clocked at 3.5ghz and a 5970 in tow).

If I remove the overclock, so the CPU is at stock speed (2.4ghz) and run the same single player on BC2, without moving as I land on the beach Fraps reckons 39fps - Same thing happens if I adjust the overclock to 3.0ghz. Odd?

My question returns to DxDiag, where I've currently got the CPU OC'd to 3.1ghz, but DxDiag reckons its 2.4 - Now is it reporting the original clock speed from somewhere? Or is my CPU simple not clocking as the FSB suggests?

CPUz reports the OC's clock speed, as does my Win7 gadget which is monitoring CPU load and speed etc.

I'm a bit confused, as I don't get why BC2 doesn't achieve better frames with a clock speed change from 2.4 to 3.5! Not sure whether I should sit-up and take notice of DxDiag, or simply ignore it.

Cheers for any advice.

Associate
OP
Thanks Slug, thats what I was hoping (although it would answer some questions if it was reporting the OC's speed! lol)

Cheers

Associate
To ask the retarded question: Have you updated your GPU driver?

A friend of mine was running his 4890 recently and getting worse framerates than my 8800GT - this is with him running faster RAM and a quicker CPU than me, on pretty much equivalent clock speeds.

Updated the driver and bang, the 8800 is left wondering what the **** just happened as his rig romps to victory. It can make a massive difference.

Associate
OP
LOL @ Slug, sure you can have it, for £520! lol

@ Audigex, thanks for that :) - Tried, 9.12. 10.2 and 10.3 beta - same thing. I was just wondering what DxDiag was reporting, I've already got a thread running on the FPS issues, but was stumped with DxDiag - thanks for the advice though, always good to hear another take or experience close to the matter - thanks :)

Associate
dxdiag does show the overclock it shows the original clock and then the new one like this:

dxdiag.jpg

I would say somehow that your overclock isn't working try cpuz and see what that says your clocks are.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm that does seem very strange i'd been inclined to go with what cpuz says rather than windows, a few thoughts though are you overclocking using some sort of software or are you using the bios? One other thing have you got intel speedstep on? could be confusing windows somehow i spose.

Associate
OP
Not sure on the Speedstep thing, but defo overclocking from the BIOS.

The whole reason I posted this was that I wasn't sure whether what DxDiag said was important or not (it may have highlighted the issue I explained above) - but agree, would tend to lean towards what CPUz says more than DxDiag...

Thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom