Ipod playing options BMW E46

Associate
I have BMW business unit from a 2001 3 series. Ideally I'd like to leave that in. What is the best form of ipod integration available to me?

It doesn't seem to have an AUX in, so would my best bet be one of the devices that 'emulates' the CD changer?

TBH what I'd ideally like would be a CD changer that can play MP3s. Can that be bought? Then I could just swap the CD changer I have to one that can play MP3 discs.

EDIT > Have found something called a GROM which looks pretty cool. Puts the folders on your drive to 'discs' on the CD changer interface. Remove CD changer in boot, put in the GROM thing and buy a 16gb flash drive or something.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Any BMW CD changer built after September 2005 can play MP3's. This is by far the easiest way with your current HU, your current HU hasnt really got the screen space to deal with Ipod solutions.

Soldato
Never heard of GROM. Been looking into this recently myself. Radios after September 2002 seem to have an output for Aux in. Pre September 2002, we are pretty stuffed.

Think the option everyone seems to go for is the DICE kit.

Associate
I think mine's an intravee (although truly I have no idea!) it doesn't display track names on my single line display, it just shows CD7-01,02 etc. However I am able to use the steering controls to change track.

Caporegime
http://www.gromaudio.com/usb.html

Think that's the best compromise. 6 folders on the USB stick, rammed full of music. That's all I would ever want. I can even tell myself CD stands for Card Directory :) i.e. CD1, CD2 etc!

For the price i don't think that's particularly hot. And you can convince yourself all you like, but 6 folders? convincing yourself that CD means Card Directory? wtf?

Permabanned
I think mine's an intravee (although truly I have no idea!) it doesn't display track names on my single line display, it just shows CD7-01,02 etc. However I am able to use the steering controls to change track.

That's not an Intravee, the intravee shows track names, does playlist/artist/song searches etc.

Man of Honour
Is this down to the HU, changer or both? ie, What do I need to swap on the X5 for empeefrees?

It's down the fact that the display hasn't got enough lines to display everything properly and the fact the compatability with the Intravee isnt very good.

To use the Intravee properly you need at least a Multi Information Display, something which was never fitted to the E46, or the Navigation monitor.

Your X5 should have a MID, in which case, you can use an Intravee.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I have a DICE unit in my 2002 E46 sport.
Installation took around 15 mins and was fairly easy. In short, open boot, unscrew boot lining on the left hand side to get to the CD changer. Remove the standard cables from CD changer and connect to the cables supplied with the DICE unit. I put my Ipod in the little tray that is above the CD changer and wrapped it in bubble wrap.
In use, it's good but not perfect. I never managed to get Random to work seamlessly, and if you restart the car, and start a new search for say an artist, you have to begin at A again, and not from where you left off.

It does give full access to Artist and Album name (which are displayed on the head unit) and can be controlled via the steering wheel buttons. Also seems to actually sound a little better than the standard CD changer, despite in my case working with 192bps MP3s.
For £100, I'm happy with it, though being fair, it and the car and now for sale.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;16107985 said:
It's down the fact that the display hasn't got enough lines to display everything properly and the fact the compatability with the Intravee isnt very good.

Have you actually used it? It worked pretty well on my 325i business CD before I installed nav. How is a DICE better?

Associate
[TW]Fox;16107985 said:

To use the Intravee properly you need at least a Multi Information Display, something which was never fitted to the E46, or the Navigation monitor.

Your X5 should have a MID, in which case, you can use an Intravee.
Sorry I fail at quoting. I should have quoted the bit about BMW changers after 2005 being mp3 compatible.

If I want to play MP3 CDs, what do I need to do?

Back
Top Bottom