fitting bigger hd to phat ps3. help appreciated.

Associate
hi all,

i have a phat 60gb PS3 and i'm wanting to up-grade the HD.

if any one has a link that shows what's involved, could you post it for me.

questions...

1/ when i up grade do i have to re-download all my DLC like full games and Singstar tracks etc or can i just move them using a usb mem stick?

2/ can i access my saves to move them over?

3/ any specific make/size HD required and do OcUK sell them?

tia

Soldato
1/ If you use an external USB hard drive you can back up the entire contents of your PS3s hard drive using the backup option in the options menu

2/ See point 1

3/ It has to be a laptop sata harddrive, i'd recommend a 5400rpm drive. This would do the job fine.

It's incredibly easy to replace, just open the side panel, unscrew a single screw, slide out your old harddrive and replace it with your new one. There's detailed instructions in the PS3s instruction manual.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did this for my brother in law last month. Very simple.

Just make sure you sync your trophies and then you can do one of two things.

Either save all your saved game data onto a USB stick/external HD and delete the games.

Or if you have a big enough External hd just transfer the lot onto an HD.

The saving of the data is the only long part about it.

Once that is down it only takes a few minutes to take out the HD and slip a new one in.

Simples...

Associate
OP
cheers guys...

1/ If you use an external USB hard drive you can back up the entire contents of your PS3s hard drive using the backup option in the options menu

2/ See point 1

3/ It has to be a laptop sata harddrive, i'd recommend a 5400rpm drive. This would do the job fine.

It's incredibly easy to replace, just open the side panel, unscrew a single screw, slide out your old harddrive and replace it with your new one. There's detailed instructions in the PS3s instruction manual.

i've a 250 usb drive and i've just ordered the drive in the link (thanks).

so a quick re-cap.
plug usb drive into ps3 and backup using said back up option.

replace drive.

transfer content from usb drive back onto ps3 (there is an option for this?). wife and kids are playing on wii so i can't check for a while.

Soldato
Aye, there's a backup and restore option, obviously you'd use backup for copying the stuff to your harddrive and restore for... well you get the picture.

I've had one problem in the past where my restore failed, i was utterly panicked but when i checked my PS3 it had copied my profiles and savegames to my PS3 but failed to copy my PSN titles and game installs. All i had to do was redownload everything off the PSN/reinstall my games, a bit of hassle but all i really care about is savegames.

Soldato
Just be careful of stripping the screws, they are seemingly made out of butter.
Yep.I tried to take the hard drive out of my brothers ps3 and ended up taking all the threading off 2 of the screws.The screws seem to be made of weak metal but are sometimes screwed in extremely tight:mad:

Associate
Just be careful of stripping the screws, they are seemingly made out of butter.

Turn off the PS3 for a bit after you've run the backup, the screws don't seem as tight when it's cooled down a bit.

Definitely make sure you have the right sized screwdriver - I has a set of precision screwdrivers which did the job fine.

The backup can take ages (depending on how much stuff you have on there). It will take all your games, game data and saves. It is worth checking if there's anything you don't need/want - delete these first.

And remember to sync your trophies (view your trophies while signed in to PSN).

The actual drive swap should take about 5 minutes.

Associate
OP
Soldato
There's a good chance i could be wrong :p

As i say, have a quick peek in the manual, there's instructions on how to replace it. It really is easy though as long as you don't strip the screw/s, honest!

Soldato
screws!!!.

thought there was only one?

There are five. A single blue one to be able to take the hard drive and carriage out and another four screwing the hard drive into the carriage.

is it possible at all to plug both the drives into a pc and clone the image of old one onto the new one ?

I don't think so. It's not formatted with any filesystem a PC can recognise so it won't work like that. It may be possible to do a sector level copy but then the PS3 will only see the drive as the same as the original because the partition size wouldn't have been touched.

Associate
OP
took just over 1 hour to backup 34gig.

new drive came this morning.

could i suggest flat head pliers to crack the 5 screws, then use driver.

took about 5 mins to remove old and replace with new drive.
now have to wait 1 hour 9mins to restore.

again, thanks all for your help.

regards.

Caporegime
Associate
OP
Caporegime
while it will spend most of it's time connected to PS3, it will also be connected to a PC at times. will this one do?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-051-BT&groupid=1657&catid=1660&subcat=1670

No. That is for 3.5 inch drives (hence why it has an AC power supply, whereas 2.5 inch caddies run off USB as that is sufficient power for a 2.5 inch device).

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-061-AK&groupid=1657&catid=1660&subcat=1670
This will do, or any 2.5 inch one with a metal casing (and don't get one that also has eSata connectors, unless you are planning on using them).

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom