Gaining strength

Soldato
I might be treading along the wrong lines here, but I'd like to gain some good strength. Does strength come only with size, or with other types of training? And if there is 3.5 stone difference between me and somebody else, how long might it take for me to stop being beaten up by them?

Soldato
And if there is 3.5 stone difference between me and somebody else, how long might it take for me to stop being beaten up by them?

:|

You can gain strength without gaining size, although someone who is a lot bigger and heavier than you will have a lot more weight to throw around and thus have an advantage.

Overall as per most weight gain threads. Lift heavy, eat more (and well) and sleep

Soldato
Nah, it's more play fighting, just embarrasing that I can hardly do a thing.

Ahh right thought you were being seriously bullied then for a minute!

Some plyometrics are good for developing power if you fancy pushing him over! Press ups with claps or where you just throw yourself up off the floor would be a start.

Soldato
5x5 has been the best method of developing strength I've ever found. Not sure about fighting strength though.

Aye.

I learnt about 'Derlome & Watkins' and 'Berger' this weekend.

D&W: Work out your 10RM then do 3 sets of 10 reps. 1st set @ 50%, 2nd @75% 3rd at 100% effectively pyramiding but a bit more technical.

Berger: 6RM x 3 sets.

Berger was found to be the more effective of the two.

Negative training is amazing too. Although quite dangerous and requires 2-3 spotters and is very taxing!

Over the weekend as part of the Level 3 we did 140KG bench negatives, 120KG B.O.R negatives, 100KG Incline Shoulder Press Negatives and 120KG Lat Pulldown Hammer Grip negatives.

SO so so so taxing but amazing pump and the stretch feels fantastic!

Soldato
OP
Ahh right thought you were being seriously bullied then for a minute!

Some plyometrics are good for developing power if you fancy pushing him over! Press ups with claps or where you just throw yourself up off the floor would be a start.

It's not like I ask to fight.

I think I'll look up some plyometrics workouts and start practising.

Soldato
I've never ever found pyramids to work for me - I know people who swear by them, but I just don't gain strength anywhere near as quickly as I do on the 5x5. Suppose you just need to find what works for you.

I found 5x5 worked for me for around 6-8 weeks and then after that just sort of stalled. I tried some cluster too at 3 reps x 6 sets but have been cutting and didn't have much rest between changing routines.

On my next bulk I'm thinking of using descending pyramids to allow me to shift a really heavy load using strength rep ranges to begin with and then work down towards the mass rep ranges with slightly less weight.

I'm also going to be pressing differently. I'l be performing the motion where only the chest/shoulders are used and finishing the ROM where the triceps begin to take over. I'll also hit Bi's & Tri's on their own which is something I've not done before.

Back
Top Bottom