Htc Desire or Google nexus

Associate
Sup everyone

I can't decide wether to get the google nexus or the htc desire can you guys reccomemd me which one is better? Everyone says the desire has sense ui... What is that exactly?

Associate
There's no clear 'better' phone, really. Hardware-wise they're almost identical apart from the Nexus having noise-cancellation while the Desire has an optical trackpad. Sense UI is just that: a user interface, which lots of people rave about.

I chose the Nexus One because of the noise cancellation and voice recognition. I also liked the stock android. If I want Sense, I'll root and add Sense. If I went with the Desire I can't just get noise cancellation and voice recognition (I think).

The Desire is a little more expensive but does come with a 8gb flash card instead of the 4gb that google give you.

Associate
Personally I would go for the nexus. Once Google release a new version of Android it will be available on the Nexus but Desire owners will have to wait weeks for HTC to update SenseUI.

Associate
theres more ram on the desire,

btw can you really get sense ui if you root it?

Yes there is more RAM on the desire, but less is available to the user until some modders "refine" the ROM. Sense UI also uses ~50MB of RAM in itself, so you're not really gaining anything in this respect. [When running the Desire ROM with no apps open I have ~180MB of free RAM, I had almost 280MB on Cyanogens Nexus ROM]

Yes you can only get Sense UI if you root, this is because it isn't an official ROM, and as such the phone won't let you install it if you don't have root. The Sense UI is a Desire ROM, which has been hacked to work on the Nexus - they are IDENTICAL hardware wise minus the noise cancellation and trackball/trackpad - both are made by HTC

Everything above is true, the Desire has a trackpad as apposed to the Nexus's trackball. Sense has nice widgets, but an awful launcher [See if you can get hold of an HTC Hero to see what I mean] but this custom skin means it will be slower to be upgraded to newer versions of Android - The Hero is stuck at 1.5 :o for now....

I've got a Nexus, and paid £410 all in for it, however some have been charged as much as £450 due to currency conversions and bank charges. This is split as ~£350 for the phone and delivery, paid to Google + £60 VAT which DHL pay for you, and they invoice you ~3 weeks later.

If that sounds expensive go and have a look at what the Desire is up for pre-order for on Amazon - £530 last time I checked. Desire is due for release on the 1st of April, the Nexus can be here in 2 days from the states ;)

Associate
I assume you can turn off SenseUI if you wish? Will it be possible to root the Desire?

The hardware buttons on the Desire are another difference. On video reviews I've seen of the Nexus One, several commented that they accidentally brushed the softkeys or had difficulty getting them to work well.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't turn sense off on the Desire, ie there is no option in the menu's to turn it off.

You can put a skin on top of it if someone puts it on the market place.

Or rooting to some custom rom.

Associate
I assume you can turn off SenseUI if you wish? Will it be possible to root the Desire?

As stated above its not easy to turn off Sense, but why would you want to? If you don't like Sense get the Nexus, if you don't like stock android, get the Desire :) . Thats the only real choice between the two, yes there are slight hardware differences, but this is the biggest difference by some margin.....

Associate
I was more thinking that hardware is fixed but software can be changed. I'd prefer the optical trackpad and hardware buttons. :D

Soldato
Personally I think the default Android UI is a bit poor....kinda looks like it was designed by an engineer, not a designer. So SenseUI would be win for me.

Back
Top Bottom