Which review sites do you trust?

Associate
I've always liked IGN, however recently I'm picking up some biased in their reviews. Why would they give a bad review to a game they're advertising to buy through their sister company Direct2Drive? The Total War review was up along with a plastering of ads for the game, telling me to buy it now on D2D. And they said GTA4 was 'perfect', 10/10.

I've recently started reading Eurogamer's stuff - it's pretty good and seems quite independent.

What review sites' the one for you?

Soldato
Gametrailers are pretty good because they are video reviews and so you can sort of judge for yourself as well as get their opinion :)

Associate
I tend to trust peoples comments on forums rather than reviews. That said, the eurogamer stuff is well written so I do tend to give them a read every now and then.

Soldato
Metacritic. I'll get a general consensus, read maybe a good review and a bad review, then make up my mind.
My least trustworthy? Zero Punctuation. Of course I watch it mainly because it's funny, but Yahtzee emphasises the negatives so much that it makes it seem like no game (apart from Portal) is worth buying.

Associate
The only review site I look at is Metacritic. You can usually gauge how good a game is once a good number of reviews are out to give it an average score :)

Associate
Gamerankings mainly. Also Metacritic sometimes.

The good thing about both sites is that they have user reviews too. (for Gamerankings go via their Gamefaqs partner)

Soldato
Tend to go with Metacritic. What I will say about Yahtzee is that, while obviously you need to contrast his stuff with other reviews, he often brings out negatives or niggles which other reviews don't; things which are really annoying as a player, but other reviews may not see as "technical" enough to mention.

Soldato
I dont really have a most reliable source..if anything i'll look on metacritic or forums, but ultimately the best review i'll get is after I've sat down and played it myself..

I suppose I agree with MasterDog about Yahtzee, but while I wouldnt buy a game based on his yes/no (no), I appreciate that he makes interesting comments about what he reviews which others might not make. Plus it's a good laugh :p

Back
Top Bottom