New motor time - Honda Civic Type R, anoy have?

Associate
Hi I am looking for a new car and thinking about a Type R honda civic.

I have between £5,000 & £7,000 to spend.

Anyone have any advice, problems or what to look for.

Thanks

Associate
Nice choice ;)

The top end of your budegt should get you a facelift model (2004 onwards) Differences between the facelift and non facelift are different bumpers and lights, red seat inserts on the front seats, tweaked suspension and a lighter flywheel (there are probably more but cant think of anymore off the top of my head) The facelifts also came in Cosmic Grey, which the non facelifts didnt. Also try and get a one with air con, it was a £1000 option when new.

Things to look out for are rough gear changes and check it doesn't pull to one side, both are known faults. Check through the service history and try and get one with a fully stamped book.

Tuning these isnt cheap, but if you want to blow some cash the have a look at K-Pro. Handling wise I love mine, although I'm going to be getting adjustable camber arms and bolts and a JDM spec rear anti roll ball then get the alignment set up with a fast road set up. Coupled with braided brake lines it should make b-road blasts and this years nurburgring trip better still :cool:

Get some insurance quotes as depending on your age/points it could be expensive. Also get used to going to the pumps to fill up, it's got quite a small tank and I've seen circa 180miles from a full one :eek: My average mpg is around 24, though I have seen it up to 32 on a long run.

Any questions just fire away :)

Associate
OP
dale thanks :)

I have a Mondeo ST24 and it DRINKS juice so the Type R will be less on my pocket compared to the Mondeo. I am 26 with 9years no clams and no points so all good :)

I will go for the face lift and look for the aircon, Regards the chip. Standard is 197bhp how much can i get from the Type R with say £1000

Thanks again, I am pretty sre on the Type R so now have to get looking.

Soldato
Then you will feel right at home with the typer I love mine, check the seats for rips of holes as new covers are pricey. Make sure the air con works as 04s had an issue with corroding pipes. got mine done on warranty after arguing. Make sure they have not fitted a nasty induction kit. As above if the cars cold make sure its not really difficult to get into 1st and 2nd.

Associate
dale thanks :)

I have a Mondeo ST24 and it DRINKS juice so the Type R will be less on my pocket compared to the Mondeo. I am 26 with 9years no clams and no points so all good :)

I will go for the face lift and look for the aircon, Regards the chip. Standard is 197bhp how much can i get from the Type R with say £1000

Thanks again, I am pretty sre on the Type R so now have to get looking.

No probs.

For a rough guide I'm 28, 8yrs protected no claims, 0 points but a fault claim last year and my insurance is around £570 fully comp. Obviously your post code could help/hinder you.

£1000 would probably get your near 240-250 ish I'd of thought. I think the K-Pro is around £600-700, plus you'd want to change the exhaust and induction. Being a highly tuned 2 litre N/A engine out the showroom it aint cheap to squeeze more ponies out of it.

For me the power in standard form is enough, its all about the handling. There are quicker hot hatchs in a straight line, but most of them would lose their edge in the corners. The only mods I'll be doing to mine will be aimed at getting the handling better still.

I think at your budget the Type R is probably the best hot hatch to go for. The Megane 225 in non R26 form isnt quite so good, and the Leon Cupra is a bit too soft on the handling front for me. Other than those the Audi S3 is expensive for what it is and the Focus ST comes in over budget so thats why I went for the CTR, and I still have a smile on my face everytime I drive it :D

Associate
I get around 25mpg from the mondeo.

[TW]Fox;16106498 said:
As I said then ;)

If you think the Type-R is going to be some sort of economical wonder hatch you have another thing coming!

You'll be lucky to continually see that kind of mpg, mine is usually below that. Having said that mine is a weekend car only, have a works van that I use during the week, so if its out its usually being driven the way it was designed to be driven. My 32mpg run was a 400mile round trip to my works office and back on mostly dual carrigeway and motorway. Though it could have been better still if my right foot could resist the urge of taking it through the Vtec :p 6th can be quite economical, I happily sat at 130ish driving through Germany last year off Vtec and was suprised how slowly the fuel gauge went down.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
cheers FOX, i must admit i did think the fuel was going to be a lot better than the mondeo.

Dave, cheers.

Dale, I will see how the buying goes. I would sooner spend the extra money and get a better condition civic. Ill defo look into the chip :)

Melchy, I did look at them but I just feel its time to go for a honda. Had a clio 1.8 16v few years back and loved it. Just honda gets my money this time :)

Thanks everyone for input, I plan to have a look at a few in the next few weeks and see if I can get a decent one for my money.

Associate
Try a Renaultsport Clio 182 as well as the Type R, you'll get a good one for the lower end of your budget.

Forgot to mention the Clio, there are a good shout, however the size of them and mainly the interior put me off them. Great hot hatch if you can get past those issues and come in a nice chunk cheaper.

Permabanned
Just back after a run up the coast in mine you put me in the mood :D Vtec is so addictive.

Most cars have Vtec or similar the Clio 182 has vvt so just as addictive! I would say a 182 full on version with the cup pack can pick up a 2006 low millage mint condition for £6,000. Yes it wont have the speed of the TypeR but come to a twisty road and bye bye Type R ;) Brakes are better too IMO. the Type R is a nicer place to sit granted but for sheer fun factor 182 every time for me.

Edit/ I should say it is the cam on the Clio 182 you feel after 4krpm!

Last edited:
Associate
Get an EK9

Bridge2.jpg

Permabanned
Nothing in it for me, all down to the driver on the day. A TypeR has the paper figures but we know that’s not what counts, IMO they are even on a straight line drag, nothing much in it.

Soldato
what is faster on a straight

An 182 Cup or Civic type R '2004 model'

On the straight there's absolutely nothing at all in it, but on the corners the Clio will probably be better although you'll have to pick up all the bits of trim which fell off afterwards.

If you can live with really poor build quality then get the 182, if you want something a bit more solid then get the Type-R. I've heard plenty of people who slate the Civic but the one I had didn't rattle or squeak one bit, it still doesn't (I was in it at Christmas as my ex still has it)

182 will be massively better on fuel, the Type-R is pretty abysmal.

Back
Top Bottom