raid question

Associate
Hey guys, i recently just built a new pc :D and i got a new hdd Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache now i was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy another one and use raid, i have to be honest i dont know anything about it, but thats why im here :D i plan on having my games on the drive and a small partition for my OS would it be a good idea to buy another drive and put this on a raid ? or would i not see much of a gain for games ?

Associate
Pretty easy to do, you will need to re-install windows unless you already did install using Raid on the Bios.

Setup Raid 0 32kb Stripe, fairly nips along. Currently using it as my OS until next month when i get the Intel Mainstream SSD, then it will be used just for installs and downloading to..

2x500gbF3_Raid0.jpg

Associate
does it matter that i have partitioned the drive ? 70 gig for my OS and the the other partition has games on it, will that effect a raid ?

That won't affect the raid, but just remember that the drive is always faster in the first 15-20% of it, and after that the speed begins to drop off. So if you have a lots of programs on another partition, with lots of empty space between them, it won't run as fast as it would if the first partition was smaller or they were all on the same one.

Associate
OP
decided not to bother and just bought a new HD 5770 instead will prolly raid it at some point, but my HD 3650 is struggling with bad company 2 :S

Back
Top Bottom