Forum Etiquette

Soldato
Rules on a forum are important, they can distinguish a good forum from a bad one. Reason for posting is not because of the fact my thread on a certain young man back in custody was deleted, but of the lack of communication of the dons and their actions.

Specifically the rules upon how they act to manage banned topics or touchy topics such as mine. Rules they follow are not what I'm questioning, it's how they approach them.

Do you not think it proper for dons to reasonably explain a) why they have closed a thread b) email user why they have deleted a thread?

Would this not allow the users to understand what they have done wrong and thus improve their understanding of the rules/forum etiquette?

Rules apply to all, not some. Allowing users to understand better what is right/wrong for this forum would benefit all would it not? To simply close/delete an already active thread without reasoning will not explain to users properly the reason/problem for closing/deleting.

A simple line of explanation in a closed thread, or email to user(s) to inform them of a delation could only help?

We as users are instructed to contact dons with questions, yet this isn't returned with similar kind?

I'm only asking out of interest, what do people think?

Man of Honour
I think it would take up too much time for the mod team to do that. There's simply too much going on for them to effectively communicate with everyone for every thread/post they edit/remove.

Most of the time stuff is communicated, but by its very nature it can't happen all the time.

Don
Some certainly valid points but for them to have to justify the closing / deletion of every thread (E.g. trolling) would probably be quite a lot of work. It's easier just to close it..

Man of Honour
I think it would take up too much time for the mod team to do that. There's simply too much going on for them to effectively communicate with everyone for every thread/post they edit/remove.

Most of the time stuff is communicated, but by its very nature it can't happen all the time.

Bang on the money there dude. We close/delete loads of threads every day, I'd get nothing done if I had to email everyone why.

Soldato
This is a dictatorship and not a democracy. Get back in line.

There's nothing wrong with a well run dictatorship :D

I know you weren't implying there was, just expressing my opinion. I do sometimes wonder why a thread has been locked, and it would be good if the Don that locks it could write a few words as to why, but the threads that get deleted usually have a very obvious reason.

Soldato
Bang on the money there dude. We close/delete loads of threads every day, I'd get nothing done if I had to email everyone why.

Could set up an email notification, and just enter a reason and it gets sent to the OP. Like the 'Reason for Edit' thing.

Soldato
OP

I can understand being such a busy forum, but isn't part of the don team here to mod certain forums? Not everyone as a whole?

Obviously GD is perhaps more busier than some put together, but is it not common courtesy to atleast be clear in closed threads and where possible deleted ones?

Soldato
I totally agree with the OP - And a decent way to actually contact the admins/dons on this forum would be very helpful! It's almost impossible to get a response back at the moment ¬_¬'

Gilly said:
If the thread has gone completely, get in touch with the mod team. Simple.

You would think :(

Caporegime
email a don if you want answers tbh.

I do when I get banned/thread deleted etc, get a quick response rather than making a "whaaa my thread got deleted" thread.

Back
Top Bottom