Tell me about the Mazda MX-5 (mk 3)

Associate
Currently looking at changing the other halfs car as it's getting on a bit, and these seem to have caught her eye.

What's the general consensus on them, are they decent? Would be looking at the 2.0 sport variant.

Any info appreciated!

Permabanned
Its not highly regarded by the owners of the older MX5, its gotten fatter and less sharp. But the one I had for a few days was just as much fun as my MK1, the heated seats were nice in this weather:p

Depends what you want out of a car, its still good value for money and still a bloody fun car.

Associate
OP
It'll be used by her as a day to day car, prob about 12k miles a year over a mix of roads.

What are they like to live with on a day to day basis?

Kae

Kae

Permabanned
Very reliable, easy to drive, looks a little girly for men (IMO).

Still a RWD car though, so she should do a skid pan course to learn to drive it...

Man of Honour
the first couple of iterations of the mk3 weren't great - the newest one is supposed to be allot better...

Having said that i think its more that they aren't a great car in comparison to their forbearers - the mk1 & mk2 were so highly regarded (with good reason) that the mk3 had a hard time living up to its name.

As for a skid pan course I'd say its overkill - don't put cheap tyres on it and take it (very) easy in the snow and she'll be fine, you really have to work to break traction in the mx-5, even in the wet!

Associate
OP
Thanks - I wouldn't have thought a skid pan would have been necessary!

Anyone lived with one as a day to day car?

There is an 07 plate Sport with heated leather and 15k on the clock up for just under 10k locally - only issue would be there is no air con. Does this sound like an ok deal?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I tried one when I owned a mk2 1.8. Felt very similar to drive, which is definitely a good thing. The interior was generally made to a higher standard, though some of Mazda's weight cutting resulted in inconsistencies like the really really cheap and nasty feeling sun visors. The biggest thing to annoy me were the cup holders in the doors, which impede into leg space. I understand that they've been deleted from the facelifted mk3s. In short, still about the best fun/cheap convertible available.

Associate
OP
Excellent thanks for the input.

Would you consider a lack of air conditioning to be offputting, either in terms of useage day to day or for resale?

Man of Honour
Would you consider a lack of air conditioning to be offputting, either in terms of useage day to day or for resale?

day to day its not much of a problem - there are a few times when you want the top up (ok, the misses wanted the top up to save her hair) and it was hot out; or when your stuck in traffic in the beating sun where having aircon would be nice - but 90% of the time having the top down is much better than having aircon :) (just remember to always keep sun cream & a hat in the car... well maybe two hats, a beanie for the winter and a cap for the summer)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Excellent thanks for the input.

Being a soft top and depending how brave you are when its raining, air con can be very useful if moisture gets in the car the morning after due to condensation etc :F :rolleyes

I have it on my Mk1 with leaky window seals and its proven very useful. The Mk3 is nicer to live with the old MX-5 hence its popularity (must have seen 10 yesterday in the remote area I was staying) so resale will be competative one day. Air con may have been a £500-1000 opotion from the dealer too so if you can get one with it for a similar price to one without you're not losing anything.

Associate
OP
Had a look at the suspension issue, doesn't appear to be a massive issue as it's relatively cheap to do anyway.

Thanks for all the info so far guys, any other things I should be looking out for?

Back
Top Bottom