Xbox 360 repair - worth it?

Soldato
How much does an out of warranty repair for a 360 cost and is it worth it?

Back story

I had a 360 premium die a year or so ago (think the dvd magnet has come loose from a bit of googling) and i didnt' get round to doing anything about it for various reasons and ended up not gaming for a year or so.

However, recently got back to playing about on the PS3, and its rekindled the gamer in me and i'm debating about what to do with the 360, given i've a load of games for it that I haven't finished yet.

So the options seem to be:

Get a repair (what kind of warranty comes with a repair?)

Fix it myself

Buy a new one (are they any quieter?) and do either of the above and then either sell or use as a MCE.

Given this was my 3rd 360, i'm somewhat loathed to get it repaired, but then i'm also worried on the reliability of a new one (is it any better?)

Soldato
I agree with the Elite bundles. At least you will get a 120Gb HDD with it so you can install the games to reduce the noise + load times.

Soldato
If it's just the DVD drive that's knackered you could simply buy a new drive for around £20 to £30 off an auction site then swap the PCBs in the DVD drive over so you don't have to mess around flashing your motherboard's DVD key into the drive. Total time involved would be about 15 minutes so it's an option worth considering.

New ones are going to be Jasper boards which are pretty reliable. If yours hasn't RROD'ed though, I'd try just sorting the drive out yourself first.

Soldato
are all new ones HDMI?

My elite screwed itself over and I am considering just buying a new basic model and transferring that into the elite case with HDD.

I have my brothers old core with basic component/scart connector and tbh, the image output is crap.

Associate
If I was you I would sell this one and get a deal on a jasper console. People pay pretty decent money for broken Xbox's as they are often a semi-easy fix, but to me the added warranty and reliability of a jasper would be worth it.

Associate
my m8's xbox's dvd drive has stop working and was out of warranty so he phone Microsoft support and told them the xbox had rrod instead of the dvd drive issue. now he got a working xbox with different serial number.

Associate
I purchased an Elite this weekend. Traded my premium 20gb for £80 and paid £114.99 for a 120GB Elite with Bad Company 2 plus Forza 3 included.

The Elite is much quieter and being able to install more than one game to hard drive is great.

Back
Top Bottom