Tell me about Motorbikes....

Associate
Hi all,

Ok, im 23, own a car but want to but a motorbike.

I have driven a automatic scooter abroad many times when i was a child and was always fond of bikes to so balance is not a problem.

However, i cant be bothered with learning to use gears on a motorbike. I really dont have the time to learn a lot. And i dont have a motorbike licence. Although i have a full uk car driving licence.

So my question is, is it right i can drive a 125cc without doing any course/extra qualifications.

Can you get automatic motorbikes that look decent (ie not like girls mopeds) and are easy to drive.

And thirdly, what would i be looking at getting around the under £2000 mark in regards age and spec and model etc?

What is insurance like on bikes such as the ones i would have to pick from based on the above criteria?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Soldato
You'd need to do a CBT, everyone who goes on the road on two wheels with an engine needs to, looking at about £100 and a day to do that.

I don't know off the top of my head of any auto 125s that aren't 'scooters'. If you're fond of bikes, you'll prefer a geared bike. They're more interesting to ride, more fun, etc. Scooters are just twist-and-go dull. Learning on a geared bike also gives you far more options in the future if you decide you want a bigger bike.

£2000 is about right to get a brand new 125. You can stretch your cash by paying less for a decent second hand.

Insurance for me (West london, 26, IT, car license for a year) was £320 TPFT on a Honda CBF125. Just to give you an idea.

Soldato
Can't be bothered to learn motorbike gears, what's the point in even wanting to ride a motorbike then? lol

It took me, and most likely a lot of people on here, half a day, if that to learn motorbike gears. It really is, simple.

Associate
Honestly, listen to the guys above, learning gears on a bike is not a big deal, i found it intimidating at first but had it sorted by the end of the day. Ive been riding five years now and gears and clutch = wheelies, and thats when it gets really fun. I have a yamaha 660 supermoto and there is a 125 version available....do it you, wont regret it mate.

Soldato
I learned an ex girl friend on how to use gears in 3 minutes :D a little exaggeration but you get the point.

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel really dumb now. It took me 2 days of hell trying to figure out bike gears and brakes

My main problem was grabbing the clutch when I was braking, but that is because I am a mountainbiker and that is where my rear brake should be!

Having said that, get your CBT, go and rent a manual 125, refine everything on that for a weekend then decide whether you want more power or not.

If you don't want more power, there are various 125cc that have sporty looks. Normaly road users probably wont notice much of a difference between you and a bigger bike.

e.g. http://www.davidsykes-superbikes.co.uk/image/products/YZF125-R 08.jpg

Associate
The Gilera DNA 50 & 125 are bike-shaped scooters, which for some reason you're looking for. They're horrible. There is literally no point to their existance. They fall apart, look awful, are uncomfortable, slow, dull, and expensive to buy and to fix.

If you want two wheels for commuting, get a scooter. You can get civilized looking ones that are supposedly desiged for city types.

If you want one for fun, consider popping out of your comfort zone for a few hours and do a cbt on a geared bike. They won't let you out on the road until you can control the machine, so all you've got to lose is looking like a muppet in front of the instructors. And we've all been there.

Associate
Love my YZF-R125, cleaned it properly and took it for a ride yesterday. I know it ain't the fastest 125 I could have got, but if I wanted something faster I would have got a 600 or 1,000 straight away, lol. I just wanted something that looked good, rode comfortable, and gave good mileage.
It's the 125 I'd have if I was starting again for sure. Or a CBR125. Nobody mistakes them for 'big bikes' but they at least look good and show willing!

Back
Top Bottom