• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why do people feel the need to offer bad advice on upgrades?

Soldato
easy..what would you buy for £50 Intel wise that beats the 550 then?
(i say 550 cos thats what im buying at the moment new retail for £50)

Considering i can get a AM3 mobo for £30 i cant see how it can be beaten!! at that price point by Intel.

Edit: as you know im not a fanboi, im just a pc enthusiast, in fact i wouldn't dream of buying a "high end" AMD because there isn't one, im currently deciding whether to ***** my next upgrade on a ATI high end card or waiting for Nvidea to pull there finger out and also whether to keep project skint and get a SSD or get a Rampage Gene and use a I7. I just think unless you have tried a certain CPU/Architecture/GFX card you shouldn't judge it, im lucky that i get to play with a lot of different kit and at the moment 95% of the population could get along just fine with a cheap AMD/intel chip and that includes the average gamer, PC power has outgrown games, i can only think of 5 that have troubled PCs in the last 2 yrs. For higher end encoding/number crunching of course you have to spend top money but even that is under £1000 for a rig, we have never had it so good :)

Last edited:
Soldato
By the sound of things, people that have tried unlocking some of the PII black editions have had a much easier time of it than those of us that went the X2 5000+ route.

Having said that - best bang for under £40 new CPU out there when it does unlock. At that price I'm almost tempted to buy a spare or two.

Argh I'm tempted enough as it is to buy another one :p

Soldato
With regards to the original OP, I've noticed this. but it doesnt just go for spec's its also advice on repairs aswell.

Unfortunately i think it stems from how easy it is to build computers now. because everyone can build one, now everyone thinks they can spec, repair and diagnose one. I see quite a bit of bad advice given on here, both spec and repair wise. I tend to just ignore and move on. Sometimes I'll give my input if I feel someone is being told to spend\repair in a silly way.

I agree with the OP though, If someone has the budget for a quadcore, Why spec a dualcore on the off chance it will open up to Quad. Let the buyer have a guaranteed Quad processor. Also, Brand loyalty is for stupid people when it comes to upgrading. I loved AMD, XP2500m, Opteron. But when Conroe hit the market, You'd have been stupid to stay AMD. Obviously things are moving different now with Phenom, but you see my point.

If you buy purely through brand loyalty. You're not getting the best bang for buck, Its not possible 100% of the time

Associate
With regards to the original OP, I've noticed this. but it doesnt just go for spec's its also advice on repairs aswell.

Unfortunately i think it stems from how easy it is to build computers now. because everyone can build one, now everyone thinks they can spec, repair and diagnose one. I see quite a bit of bad advice given on here, both spec and repair wise. I tend to just ignore and move on. Sometimes I'll give my input if I feel someone is being told to spend\repair in a silly way.

I agree with the OP though, If someone has the budget for a quadcore, Why spec a dualcore on the off chance it will open up to Quad. Let the buyer have a guaranteed Quad processor. Also, Brand loyalty is for stupid people when it comes to upgrading. I loved AMD, XP2500m, Opteron. But when Conroe hit the market, You'd have been stupid to stay AMD. Obviously things are moving different now with Phenom, but you see my point.

If you buy purely through brand loyalty. You're not getting the best bang for buck, Its not possible 100% of the time

Completely agree with you here, i have noticed what you have picked up on too, half the reason i hardly post on GH any more. One thread i saw about a month back some poor guy was being told to RMA things left right and centre, what happened to good old fashioned troubleshooting? Another pet hate of mine lately in GH is people not reading the OP, and spouting the same line "AMD matches intel in gaming" when gaming isn't often the only use listed.

In regards to the unlocking i would never suggest the 555 over a guaranteed quad, budget permitting of course. I agree with easyrider's notion of quad really being the way to go nowadays. With AMD's offerings as well i really don't see why not.

Now with the pound for performance argument I am one of those people that when buying something i set a price and want the best i can for the money, not merely something that will do what i need of it because who know's what i'll want to do 3 months down the line? So i don't understand why people suddenly jump in and go "ohhh you don't need that" and then proceed to ram that point down the OPs throat by having 10 other people re-iterate it. Not every person out there cares for performance per pound some people have a budget and want to spend that budget in it's entirety by getting the best they can for the money. It would just be nice if people would go, this is what will do what you need of it but if you want the most performance for £X then get this. Let the buyer decide.

Permabanned
Bang for buck is my largest concern.

Back when AMD were on top, I bought a K6-II 450, Athlon 1400, Athlon 3000+, Athlon 3500+, and finally an Athlon X2 4400+.

I gladly told all my friends and family to buy AMD CPUs, and offered the same advice online.

However, since the Core 2 Duo was released, I immediately stopped recommending AMD and started telling people to buy C2D based on benchmarks and reviews. Then apparantly I had become an Intel fanboy for stating the obvious truth that Intel CPUs were now so much better than AMDs.

Then I simply gave up offering advice online and thought it best to leave people to make their own mistakes due do not being able to look at performance charts themselves. The last person I gave advice to was an uncle buying my cousin a gaming PC for getting straight A's in his GCSEs, my advice being to get the same as what I had at the time - E8400, 4850, P45, and also giving them advice on how to use ebay to afford upgrades.

I dont want AMD to go out of business, but Im not going to buy or recommend products out of sympathy for the company untill they have better CPUs. They are fine for non gaming PCs, but if anyone is building a PC for gaming, I cant currently recommend them over an I5 750 or I7 930 which would be my CPUs of choice as well. Basically I recommend only what I would put into my own PC.

I have enjoyed my E8400 and I7 920 D0 very much. Very powerful CPUs. I had my E8400 running at 4050 Mhz and now have my I7 stable at 4200 Mhz and 70 degrees but with HT off.

IMO it takes fanboyism to knowingly buy or recommend a weaker product (currently AMD CPU or Nvidia GPU).

Soldato
I'm looking forward to an AMD rig again if they release most powerfull CPU on market just so I can brag around that my photoshop loads 10% faster than yours even tho I use it only once or twice a week. I know I could save 50% of the price going for cheaper PC and probably won't notice a difference at all but then my e-peen will get smaller.

fixed.

Soldato
PC power has outgrown games, i can only think of 5 that have troubled PCs in the last 2 yrs. For higher end encoding/number crunching of course you have to spend top money but even that is under £1000 for a rig, we have never had it so good :)

That's the only thing I'm trying to say here.

---
Also if you notice one of my previous rig advice, where a guy asked for editing machine for ¬800quid, I've jumped straight to i7 build.
I've picked few i5s over 965s as well earlier - how does that make me AMD fanboy ?

I'm not taking any sides but if I know that cheaper AMD setup has more than enough power for ones needs and that the buyer won't be able to tell the difference while saving money at some time then I'll recommend it.

Soldato
I am one of those people that when buying something i set a price and want the best i can for the money, not merely something that will do what i need of it because who know's what i'll want to do 3 months down the line? So i don't understand why people suddenly jump in and go "ohhh you don't need that" and then proceed to ram that point down the OPs throat by having 10 other people re-iterate it.
this is what i was saying too.

Associate
Only read the first post, so i apologise if covered already.. but there's no way Win7 needs a quad core. Im running it on an old dell dimension 5000 desktop.. Single Core p4, 1gb ddr 667mhz ram, 128mb ati x300 graphics, 160gb 5,400rpm WD drive with absolutely no problem at all. In fact, it's running better than XP did -starts quicker & everything is a lot smoother. So as far as i can see, your post is completely ironic in that it's bad advice in itself!

Caporegime
OP
Only read the first post, so i apologise if covered already.. but there's no way Win7 needs a quad core. Im running it on an old dell dimension 5000 desktop.. Single Core p4, 1gb ddr 667mhz ram, 128mb ati x300 graphics, 160gb 5,400rpm WD drive with absolutely no problem at all. In fact, it's running better than XP did -starts quicker & everything is a lot smoother. So as far as i can see, your post is completely ironic in that it's bad advice in itself!

Oh dear,

Don't comment on a thread if you are too lazy to read it all.

I run windows 7 on a celeron 2.8ghz for the kids PC.

But guess what? In fact forget it....They only go on club penguine online.

Read a thread in context before you post.

IN fact I'm not going to the trouble of explaining where I am coming from if you CBA to read the thread!

Soldato
There is nothing wrong

What is wrong is recommending slower parts at the same price points for the sake of Brand loyality.

Now that doesn't make any sense does it ?
I have a feeling you just write random stuff to keep the pointless flaming going without even trying to read everyones responses.

Slower ? Maybe yes.
At the same price point ? definitely not.
Brand loyality ? I've mentioned that few posts before already but I guess you didn't read it just like any other responses.

Back
Top Bottom