Dealing with multiple job offers... help please!

Soldato
Its a strange question I know, but I need some advice.

I'm in a situation where I need a new job urgently, so am applying for many, including ones I dont particularly want.
I have little choice and must accept what I can get, but you don't get all the offers at the same time, so it's possible I may be offered a job I don't want, have to accept it, then a week later receive an offer I do want.

Is it ok for me to just up and change my mind? Take the one I want and apologise to the one I didnt, but had already accepted?

There will be agents involved in some of these, are there any kind of penalties to doing what I am proposing if it is necessary?

Thanks for any advice!

Soldato
If you've only verbally accepted the offer (i.e over the phone) and another offer comes through then just phone them up and say you've had a change of circumstances and accept your new job ;)

Soldato
It doesn't become a problem if the other person doesn't want it to become one, really. The contract can be formed verbally. No employer will cause a fuss if you just say your circumstances have changed, even if you're a week or two in.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys, just checking - does anything change if emails are exchanged accepting the offer?
What if the employer asks for details such as address, NI number, that kind of thing?
Does supplying any of this cement me in?

Associate
All I can think is that they cannot force you to work for them if you don't want to. Unless your contract says you need to give them X amount if you don't work for a month (which i have never seen but I guess some good jobs may have it) or something then just explain that something has changed and apologise.
If you have not worked for them yet then they cannot really dock you any pay etc can they?

Permabanned
Its not a good way of conducting business but it can be done.

Remember though, a verbal contact is just as good as a written one so you are contractually bound when you accept on the phone.

Soldato
Hi guys, just checking - does anything change if emails are exchanged accepting the offer?
What if the employer asks for details such as address, NI number, that kind of thing?
Does supplying any of this cement me in?

Read your contract it should have a probation period where no notice of leave is needed on both parts to quit the contract.

KaHn

Soldato
You can walk out of a job any time. Before or after your first day. Any penalties (unlikely to be any) will be clearly written in the contract you signed.

Back
Top Bottom