My Panny G10 makes loud creaking noises!

Associate
I got a 42" Panny G10 last november and for about a month now Ive put up with what sound like loud creaks/cracks coming from it.

I notice it more in the evenings when its quieter (kids!) and its really distracting when it happens. Its not a constant thing, it can not happen for an hour or so and then happen a couple of times in the next ten minutes.

It sounds a lot like some kind of thermal expansion noise. If I squeeze the sides of the panel frame I get similar noises but not quite the same. The actual ones are much louder and sharper sounding. This is my first plasma so I dont know if this sort of thing is normal or not.

I rang up M&S today and there is an engineer coming round Thursday morning, I know I wont be able to reproduce the problem so Im not sure what he might do.

Associate
found this on AVforums, sound like it could be that your casing hasn't been fitted correctly or tightened up right.

Originally Posted by SadR0bot
Dont know if this is of use to anyone but I put up with this noise for ages before figuring out what it was. It sounded like an expansion noise in the case and by squeezing the plastic frame on the sides I could replicate the noise.

In trying to track down the source I discovered that noise from the speakers possibly contributed. Whenever I muted the sound to listen to where the noise came from, it never seemed to happen. As soon as I put the sound back on it seemed to occur. The noise itself seemed to come from the each side on the upper part of the panel. I could feel vibrations from the speakers in the case at these locations so I figured maybe this vibration caused slight movement in the plastic which on top of heat etc caused the creak.

I cut a old iTunes gift card up and wedged a piece on each side at the top of the panel between the plastic casing and the metal frame, that was a couple of hours ago and so far it seems to have done the trick.

It seems Im the only one having this problem so I thought Id post my findings just in case someone else did.

Associate
OP
found this on AVforums, sound like it could be that your casing hasn't been fitted correctly or tightened up right.

Originally Posted by SadR0bot
Dont know if this is of use to anyone but I put up with this noise for ages before figuring out what it was. It sounded like an expansion noise in the case and by squeezing the plastic frame on the sides I could replicate the noise.

In trying to track down the source I discovered that noise from the speakers possibly contributed. Whenever I muted the sound to listen to where the noise came from, it never seemed to happen. As soon as I put the sound back on it seemed to occur. The noise itself seemed to come from the each side on the upper part of the panel. I could feel vibrations from the speakers in the case at these locations so I figured maybe this vibration caused slight movement in the plastic which on top of heat etc caused the creak.

I cut a old iTunes gift card up and wedged a piece on each side at the top of the panel between the plastic casing and the metal frame, that was a couple of hours ago and so far it seems to have done the trick.

It seems Im the only one having this problem so I thought Id post my findings just in case someone else did.

Yeah that was me, the old shove random bits of plastic between the casing didnt work after all, must have been a fluke that it was quiet after I did it that night. It hasnt made any difference.

I didnt update the avforums thread as its a monster and no one would have remember my original post anyway.

Associate
OP
[RB];16121452 said:
You do get the odd bit of creaking on certain sets when they warm up.

If the engineers can't find a fault on site they'll most probably take it away to put on test.

This creaking you mention, does this sound similar to what Im experiencing. Its just that I havent found anyone who says their set does this yet.

Its usually been on a while when it happens so its not a case of as its warming up.

Last edited:
Associate
This creaking you mention, does this sound similar to what Im experiencing. Its just that I havent found anyone who says their set does this yet.

Its usually been on a while when it happens so its not a case of as its warming up.

Hmm it could be something different in that case. I get a loud creak from my Panasonic 32" after it's been on about 45 mins.

It's just the plastic casing expanding from cold.

Back
Top Bottom