• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is my cpuu giving up the ghost?

Associate
I have a very old Dell Latitude D610, with a Pentium M 750 processor, it should run at 1866 MHz, however when I opened CPU-Z, it shows it running at 798 MHz??? There are no power saving things active, opened iTunes, firefox and sibelius at the same time to see if it would go back upto 1866 MHz but it hasnt. So, has is my cpu finally giving up??

Thanks, icy

Associate
OP
here's a screen shot of CPU-Z if it means anything to anyone

798u.jpg

Soldato
This sounds like Intel Speedstep - a technology which is employed on Intel Pentium M CPUs. If you look here, that CPU uses a 133MHz bus speed (yours is correctly running at this speed), and a 14x multiplier (yours is only at 6x). Concidering that "Intel Speedstep" reduces CPU multiplier to save power, then this is almost certainly what is going on.

Opening up itunes, firefox and sibelius really isn't much of a CPU stress test, more of a RAM/HDD test. So I wouldn't worry too much if these actions don't cause the CPU multiplier to increase.

As RJC suggests, you should try running a stress tester to check that it does kick the speed up to 1.86Ghz. OCCT is a nice, early-to-use program that incorporates a prime 95 stress tester.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
been running Prime95 for just over 50 minutes now and it is still running at 798 MHz as it sounds like Intel Speedstep is to blame, is there anyway of making it change it back to 1866MHz??

RJC

RJC

Don
Defiantly a strange one, are there any option in the BIOS to do a restore setting / load default values.
Are you running on mains or battery.

Soldato
SpeedStep should, naturally run the CPU at 800mhz. If the computer is plugged in and under stress testing, the speed should rise to full. Since this appears not to be happening, there's obviously something going on - had a gander in the bios? tried another OS install?

Associate
OP
if you download rmclock it will tell you in the one of the tabs if any throttling is active

downloaded rmclock and it is very useful, I have seen the clock speed return to 1866 MHz which is good :D and now it returns to 798 MHz when idling. Just ran Prime95 and the clock speed still sits at 798 MHz :confused: however when running the IntelBurnTest the clock speed shoots back up to 1866 MHz :D which is a good sign but still don't understand the clock speed for the Prime95 test :confused:

Back
Top Bottom