• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which of these old Intel CPUs is better?

Associate
I acquired some old hardware from work today which I'm hoping will be useful for building a NAS server. I have the following Intel chips but I'm not sure which one is best suited...

• Pentium 4 530J (part SL7PU) - 3.0 GHz, single core with HT (so OS sees two cores, right?), x86 only, 1 Mb cache, 800 MHz bus
  • Celeron D 351 (part SL7TZ) - 3.2 GHz, single core (no HT), x64, 256 Kb cache, 533 MHz bus

I had hoped to use Server 2008 R2 but that hangs on whether or not an x64 Celeron is better than an x86 P4. The mainboard that will be used is an Intel D101GGC which is limited to 2 Gb of ram anyway. Planning on using a PCIE RAID controller with 8 drives attached, not decided on which one yet though.

Any thoughts??? :)

Associate
Go with the P4 for sure. 4x the cache will definitely make the difference. It's gonna put out a decent amount of heat though...

Any chance of buying a cheap skt 775 C2D CPU to drop in instead?

Associate
OP
Sounds good, thanks.

I'll have a look on eBay for a C2D, didn't realise the board supported them (presumably any 775 chip will work?).

Soldato
Looking at this I don't think the board supports C2D; as you originally thought.

As for which one is faster - the Celeron is newer, but on paper the P4 has things in its favour. I would suggest building it with one and running some benchmarks, then swapping over the CPU. Should give you a pretty clear winner after a bit of faffing about.

Associate
I suggest selling it and buying a budget amd system. You can get some really cheap but decent quality stuff with AMD. Or used C2D.

The P4 aint worth it for the power usage alone. Not to mention that it was not that good even when it first came out.

Soldato
I acquired some old hardware from work today which I'm hoping will be useful for building a NAS server

I suggest selling it and buying a budget amd system
Hey Shad, I think Trunks9486 got it right . . . however this suggestion does place the burden of selling the older hardware on you which may be something you don't really want to do? . . . I also am not 100% sure what a NAS server is? (is it the same as a NAS?) . . . is it a perpetual device?

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processors 530J
84w TDP

Intel® Celeron® D Processor 351
84w TDP

Associate
A server is on 24/7 usually. 45w chip with onboard graphics will provide more than enough oomph, features and performance while keeping running costs minimal.

I dont think its a bad advice. If the OP doesnt like it fair enough.

NAS i think stands for network attacked storage, which as far as i know is a server on for 24/7.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Selling the bits is an option and may net ITRO £80, judging by current eBay prices. Although there's a lot of hassle involved I do like this (new) option.

Wayne, Network Attached Storage comes in a variety of forms from a simple single drive box with an ethernet port to vast complex arrays. I'm building a server to house a number of drives which will primarily perform the role of NAS, but will offer additional benefits (although limited by the old Intel kit I have - another pro for selling and looking at newer kit).

Soldato
Hiya Shad,

cool well you have the answers I think you needed and I enclose a "possible" alternative for you should you feel the desire to flog the older bits and build yourself something newer . . . . This option offers everything you require and provides a "very" scalable base for your Networked adventures! :)

CPU + Mobo £70
1GB DDR2 (used) £10
Total= £80

shadserver2010.jpg

AMD® Sempron™ 140 Processor
Product Brief, AMD-V™, techPowerUp review

Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2
AMD® 760G/SB710 (AM2+)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I never saw that coming.

The P4 would be far quicker than the Celeron (as mentioned already). The 256K cache cripples it completely.

Back
Top Bottom