Sound muffled/distored on Toshiba laptop

Associate
Sound muffled/distored on Toshiba laptop

Hi guys,

I have an issue with the sound on a Toshiba Equirum laptop. When playing ANY kind of sound it is all distored and you cannot make anything out. Oddly enough when I plug in a pair of headphones the sound works perfectly through the headphones but then it also plays fine on the laptop speakers simultaneously. This suggests to me that the sound isn't terminating correctly when I plug in a pair of headphones. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Incidentally, I have tried re-installing drivers and even the operating system to no avail. Laptop is running Windows Vista Premium.

Thanks all!

Soldato
Sounds like the headphone jack is damaged, and not turning the noise cancellation on. Repairing the socket by taking one from a dead board or replacing the motherboard is your only option I would think.

Associate
I've had this on a Advent laptop and now on a non branded PC at work .The windows start up tune is all distorted and it was since a MS update was installed.The laptop is OK now after a format and OS install ,but I may have to do the same with the works PC .There has been some faulty MS updates of late .

Soldato
I've had this on a Advent laptop and now on a non branded PC at work .The windows start up tune is all distorted and it was since a MS update was installed.The laptop is OK now after a format and OS install ,but I may have to do the same with the works PC .There has been some faulty MS updates of late .

OP has done an OS reinstall, its definately a hardware fault, quite common on laptops as the sockets are easily damaged.

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot guys. Looks like this is going to have to be a new board then. Must see if I can get one from Ebay. Very much appreciated. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom