DDR2 vs DDR3?

Permabanned
Stupid Stupid, meant DDR2 vs DDR3

I am currently using 8gigs of DDR2 and wondered would it be beneficial to sell that ram and rather purchase 4 gigs of DDR3.

What are the real world benefits of DDR3 memory and would it be worth losing 4 gigs over?

thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
DDR3 vs DDR3? :D

Erm I'm not a 100% sure but I'm guessing it depends what you use your PC for, do you need a lot of ram or do you just want it to be faster? DDR3 is just faster ram.

Associate
As above, it all depends on what your needs are. You'll have to choose between having more capacity as you do now versus what may only be a small real world gain in performance by switching to DDR3. If it's mainly gaming for example then DDR3 might be the way to go but if you regularly use resource hungry apps such CAD or photographic processing then it would make more sense to stay with what you have now.

Permabanned
OP
Well you see thats thust it, the booklet I received when I purchased the mobo said it was a MSI 790GX however looking at reviews of the MSI 790GX it says that it only supports DDR3 memory. I have also seen that there is the MSI 790GX 65 which is the one that supports the DDR3 memory however i dont htink its the 790GX 65 that I have thats why this is confusing. I need something that is going to tell me exactly what model mobo I have. I guess the book will tell me if the Mobo supports DDR3 or not

Back
Top Bottom