i have the the i7 itch

Soldato
sensible advise needed please as im very unsure about what im wanting to do

would you upgrade to i7 with my spec ?

Associate
I think the nda lifts tomorrow on the 6 core i7s so check around sites for reviews.

I just upgraded to a i7 930 from a qx6800 and im delighted buy the performance of the 930.

Stock clocks the 930 matches my old quad when it was clocked at 3.8.Some of the gain will also be the swap to ddr3 though.

Soldato
With an Q9650 @ 4.0GHz you're basically upgrading for the sake of it going for an i7, it should be a good couple of years before that chip is struggling with anything.

Soldato
What is your main use for the machine?

If its gaming, then you may as well stick with what you have - i7 will not give you any performance benefit.

However, if you mainly use CPU heavy, multithreaded apps - then an i7 would be of benefit. It would be a good chunk faster than your Core 2 Quad Penryn at the same clockspeeds and offer nice future upgradability (my eye is on the 32nm hex core i7 970 released in the Autumn).

Soldato
I wouldn't unless I was doing lots of video encoding, even then, get the GPU's to do it...
I'd sooner get an 800d:D

Soldato
Not a chance. Go for watercooling, its loads more fun than a new bios.

I had a q9550 at 3.8ghz, 8gb ram, air cooled. Wanted i7 because it was new. Controlled myself and spent the money on watercooling. Fantastic idea, water is lots and lots of fun. Tragically my motherboard and cpu later died, at which point I went for i7. Can't honestly tell the difference between the i7 I have now and the q9950 I had before, not sure I'd be able to with them running side by side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom