Ascending Pyramids - Routine preparation

Soldato
In a few short weeks the bulk begins!!! \o/

I've used high volume, straight sets, 5x5, 3 x 6, 4 x 8, slow negatives, upper/lower strength hypertrophy splits etc.

Something I tried in my first year was pyramids. Though being a newb with relatively little mass I can't remember if/how well they worked.

I've not really used a progressive load, apart from when warming up so am hoping using it during working sets to have so good potential for strength & mass.

Here's what I've posted up on another forum for critique. Let me know what you think.

The following is what I've come up with. I've used chest as an example. But will apply the sample 4 set pricple and increased loads to each bodypart. Ignore the typo on 4th set of Flat Bench '5' should be '4'.

chestpyramid.jpg

If I went with something like this I was thinking about using a different starting compound each time. Or perhaps pre-exhausting sometime by starting with flyes, or tricep work say every 3rd cycle.

I also found 'looping pyramids':

chestpyramidloop.jpg

Pritty self explanitory, though I think due to fatigue loads would be lesser the second time round/ same loads & less reps probaly being more beneficial. Using a 2 compound 1 isolation loop means I could work Bi's & Tri's on their own day.

First example is 16 sets / 112 reps for chest & 8 sets/56 reps for triceps.
Second example is 24 sets / 168 reps for chest alone.

This looks a little high to me in regards to reps. Thinking it might be best to scrap the first set of 2 reps & just start on set 2 @ 8 reps?

The load used in each exercise would be a 'x' RM so will be pushing myself quite hard. I've used plus 5KG as an example. DB's tend to jump in 5KG's so am limited in that I might have to start lighter as I can't increase the load in anything less than 5KG. For bars though this isn't a problem. Not sure what the cable stacks go up by.

For legs/back increments could be higher as they're quite powerful muscles, probaly nearer to 10-15KG each jump.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Only a first draft so open to a lot of change.

I value your opinions & thoughts so let me have them! :D

BennyC

Back
Top Bottom