Help please

Associate
Hey,

I bought an OC bundle and normal temps are fine there around 32-38C

Tried prime95, in the first few seconds temps hit 90+ (system didn't crash but i just stopped the test)

Also i'm not sure if this links but the computer sort of freezes at times for about 3 seconds, like if i come to open up a program or close it down or just moving the mouse it all just freezes for a few seconds and then carries on, not sure if that links into the overclock or not.

I know nothing about overclocking thats why i bought this pre OC'd bundle, so could anyone help me, like I dunno if you ask for a list of the figures you need (such as voltages etc?) you could see if there too high or something?

I'm perfectly happy with the system it's just this that i need to get checked out.

Thank you for your help and time.

coretemp.jpg

cpuzs.jpg

i7 920 D0
Asus P6TD Deluxe
Corsair XMS3 12800 (1600MHz) 6 gb
Titan Fenrir Cooler
Antec 1200
ATI 5870
Corsair HX 850
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb

Associate
Thats below stock speeds? and your temp's are way to high for that to tell you the truth - and your cooler is decent too. I dont feel confident in telling you what to do, but I'm sure someone on here will give you some insight. But that doesnt look right to me atall.

Associate
Thats below stock speeds? and your temp's are way to high for that to tell you the truth - and your cooler is decent too. I dont feel confident in telling you what to do, but I'm sure someone on here will give you some insight. But that doesnt look right to me atall.

That's just speed step lowering the multi while idle ;)

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the cooler isn't properly seated. Volts also look a touch high, but not massively.

Permabanned
Have you ever cleaned the Cooler in the time you have had it ? If it was me i would remove the sink clean replace the paste and retest.

Not sure how OcUK over clock there systems but as the norm all the energy saving crap is switch off and the multi is locked. I would say thats upset the bios at one time. Poss BSOD. You will prob be best give OcUK a ring and seeing what they say as you my invalidate your warranty.

Associate
OP
Haven't had the system for long, maybe like a month at max, and opened it last night, there not really any dirt or dust inside or anything it's still clean, just the front air filters where a little dirty but cleaned them.

I sent them a web note but just thought if any of you guys knew if i could do something to fix it or something.

About the cooler, since the idle temps are low wouldn't that in a way show that it's fitted on well? If not then i can go get some cpu/heatsink cleaner to get rid of the arctic 5 and re do that.

Would it help if i got you guys any specific figures from the bios to see if something was wrong with the settings?

Thanks again for your help guys

Associate
OP
Sorry to post again, but by the way what do you think is causing the freezing? Since i started this thread it hasn't really happened it just seems to occur randomly

Associate
Sorry to post again, but by the way what do you think is causing the freezing? Since i started this thread it hasn't really happened it just seems to occur randomly

Possibly the fact that your temps are exceptionally high?

Are you on Auto vCore? I think that your BIOS is being nasty to you by increasing the vCore wrongly.

Associate
OP
I've just received a reply, was told to lower the voltage to 1.3000 and was asked what thermal paste was used. Done another test on prime95 and after 10 seconds below is the screenshot of the temps.

latestc.jpg

Soldato
hi aguero

i'm getting those mini-freezes too, my suspicions lie with the 5870, i have a 5870 + 5970, with the 5870 disabled due to issues with eyefinity, but i've noticed that when the primary gpu on the 5970 clocks up or down, a momentary freeze occurs. i'd bear with it for the time being and see if the new drivers due in march will help the issue.

hope that helps

Associate
OP
Thank you for your reply twist I hope that's the issue. Just took a couple of pictures of the BIOS if anyone could just give it a quick look through and see if everything is fine with that. Thank you again for your help guys

85470094.jpg

68912672.jpg

30324292.jpg

Soldato
for that much vcore, i'd have thought loadline can be off, as that's what i'm pretty much running at the moment. turn off both spread spectrums, they're not needed. apart from that, put cpu pll to 1.8 - auto will make it go mentally high, and maybe set qpi/vtt to around 1.3.

i have no idea what the other voltages will do on auto as i've set mine to pretty much the lowest...

Caporegime
Personally i prefer to set the voltages myself, for 4ghz (21x193) im using the following on my asus p6t dlx v2.

vcore, 1.2750, (your chip may need higher/lower)
pll, 1.84
qpi/vtt, 1.31250
ioh, 1.2
ich, 1.2
dram, 1.64

All of the above are well within safe limits for an i7.

EDIT: Few pics of settings.

Photo-0095.jpg

Photo-0096.jpg

Note that the qpi voltage in the above screen says 1.300, ive since upped that to 1.31250 since that pic was taken.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply setter, I've tried it with your settings and it took longer for the temps to get high, like about a minute compared to a few seconds with the settings they had. Below is the screenshot if it would be possible for you to advise me.

Thank you guys

newsettings.jpg

Associate
OP
Ok will do first thing tomorrow, Thank you very much for your help and for everyone else, i'll post back tomorrow after i've done that. Do you recommend any specific method to applying the thermal paste? I had followed the arctic website in the single line method.

Thank you again for your help

Soldato
Doing a stress test on your cpu's will cause the temperatures to max out. Not to sure why the computer freezes up though. Perhaps the cpu usage needs to recover from the stress test before it's dedicated to any computer tasks.

Associate
OP
Thank you guys for all your help, after about 3-4 times of taking off the cooler and putting on thermal paste I found the problem. The first time after you guys had recommended I redo the cooler and paste i had cleaned the processor and the heat sink. Applied the paste and put it back on, temps were still high, took it off and saw that none of the paste transferred from the processor to the heatsink.

So i applied some to the heatsink and again tried temps were still high, (I know your only meant to use a little paste and i tried to but it wasnt working), I applied more paste onto the heatsink and tried again, temps came down slightly, applied more and then it finally got to about 80 on full load but did creep a little higher than that.

Ordered a H50 water cooler should be here tomorrow going to try that and see how things go. I think the problem with the heatsink is that its not straight, theres not much contact being made with the processor thats why i had to apply a lot of paste.

But yea hopefully the H50 will do the job, any recommendations on fitting it into a antec 1200? would a push pull mechanism be better than just one fan blowing air into the radiator?

Once again thank you all for all your help and your time.

Permabanned
There must be a seating problem with that cooler.
With the H5 i would def have push pull. If it was me i would have the fans from the PSU 12V meaning running full blast all the time. Easyer to keep the water cool than try and cool it once its got warm.(you get what i mean ) :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey,

I've fitted the new cooler and done the push pull with the fans, I have two fans in the rear, the top rear which is blowing air out and the bottom which is blowing air into the radiator, and then one blowing from the radiator out towards the center. One big fan on the top of the case blowing the warm air out and then 3 in the front blowing cold air in.

I think the problem was deffinately with that Fenrir, below is the screenshot of the temps from prime95 running after about 15 mins, much cooler. Are this temps fine then or should they be slightly lower?

Just wanted to say thank you for everyone that's helped i'm really grateful and hope to pay you back :)

h50m.jpg

Back
Top Bottom