BMW E46 2000 Key Fob Dead

Associate
I think I accidentally sat on my key fob during a long meal and managed to drain it's battery. It wouldn't unlock the doors, and when I used the key, the alarm went off until I'd turned the igintion on. It's a 2000 E46 - does this model use a rechargable key, and if not, what sort of pain is the dealer going to inflict on me?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Do you have the newer or older style key? The newer style key is a diamond shape with a coloured BMW logo in the centre which locks the car.

Newer style keys recharge via the ignition.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the impressively quick response. It looks much like this one except the words LOCK are written inside the inner rim surrounding the BMW badge, rather than on the outer plastic as shown in this picture.

oN7X.jpg

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I can confirm what Fox says regarding the new style key charging via the ignition, but I would have thought the "old style" would also charge via the ignition. I can't imagine BMW still using replaceable batteries in 98/99...

Did you not get a spare key+fob?

The thing with BMW (and maybe other brands also) is that a lot of information regarding the car is stored on the fob itself and is updated everytime you start/stop the car, so they are going to be costly than you would think.

I'm not sure how the fob is designed but if it's just customised to the unlock then cost should be minor, however if it is customised for this statiscial gathering then you may be looking at something a bit more pricey.

Best option, try charging it in the ignition and see if that makes it work, if not then call the dealer...

EDIT: From your pic and description it is the same as my key and should charge in the ignition.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. Drove it for 30 mins earlier and it's still dead. Have a 4 hour drive tomorrow so if nothing's doing after that, then I'll have to think about something else. I bought the car 3rd hand about 5 year ago and have only ever had one fob key. I've read elsewhere that the key might need pairing with the car again if I did indeed sit on the buttons for an extended period of time. Don't know if that's applicable for me.

Associate
I had same problem with mine. ended up getting blank keys like the 1 pictured above and just programmed them to the car myself ( only does the doors and alarm ) and used my old key for the ignition.
Got 2 blank keys off e-bay for £18 each and they work fine. each 1 lasts about a year without going into the ignition.
Not found anyone that does BMW laser cutting for keys, as far as I know Its only BMW.

Associate
Try and recode key for your locks.

Sit in the car with all doors closed.
Put key in ignition and turn it on and of within 5 seconds
Next process you have to complete within 30 seconds or you have to restart.
Press and hold the Unlock button then press the Lock button 3 times then release the unlock button.
If it worked the doors should lock and open after you let the button go.
Then just turn the ignition on and off to finish operation then your done.
If it doesnt work then they key battery is dead

Associate
OP
Hi Mougabi. Saw that advice elsewhere and was coming on here to post that it does work. Closed all the doors, turned to position 1 five times quickly, took the key out, held down the door unlock button and pressed the lock button 3 times, and the door locks opened. Couldn't believe it when it actually worked! All working fine now.

Thank you very much for the replies.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Oh sweet, so all you did by sitting on the buttons was reset it's pairing? That re-pairing method is good to know just in case.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Re-pairing loses some other custom settings that may be programmed into the key, I was foolish on the first week of ownership of my car and wanted to see what all this repairing thing was about and managed to repair both sets of fobs BUT in the process this reset the manual key turn action so the doors lock if you insert the key and twist but the alarm won't arm itself, you have to push the lock button on the fob and the lights will flash once and tell tail indicator inside the car will oscillate normally.

When I first got the car if you manually locked the car via the door then the doors would lock and the alarm would arm itself.

I'll probably try and ninja a free reprogram from BMW at the next service but it's not something to be bothered about as the keys will never suddenly die :p

Back
Top Bottom