meh

Soldato
It could be just me, or some sort of nearly the weekend symptom but I seemed to be getting more and more annoyed at peoples increasing use of the term 'meh'.

It seems that society is de-evolving which is going to end with a language of grunts, umms and arrs. Just the other day one of my mates used it in a spoken sentence :rolleyes:

What does everyone else think? I call for a forum wide ban and anyone using it should be forced to take English lessons again.

Soldato
What do you do for a living? perhaps you need a change of pace.

The use of such words is more of a result of the way we have changed the way we speak in recent years. I don't think it's a new phenomenon to begin to use different slang to better (or maybe worse) describe what you're thinking, it's part of the natural evolution of communication. I don't have a problem with meh, though if someone was talking to me more formally and used it, I'd find it odd.

Associate
If I'm correct then this originated from Seinfeld, and as a verbal exclamation (so technically your mate is using it in it's original context). That's where I first heard it anyway.

I don't mind it personally, it's a fairly good short-hand for total ambivalence on a subject. Anything is annoying when over-used though.

Man of Honour
It’s a horrible nerdy expression used by internet fashionistas. It certainly has no place in the spoken or written English language.

Shoot all users of it. Meh :p

Last edited:
Soldato
It seems that society is de-evolving which is going to end with a language of grunts, umms and arrs. Just the other day one of my mates used it in a spoken sentence

meh, so what, as long as people understand each other. Languages change.

Soldato
Meh was cool to say at the beginning of the last decade, now it's been increasingly shafted into the public domain and used by scene kids and those kids that still find 4chan really edgy and cool or use the memes but know not of where they came. Now I deem it naff to say!

I am almost certainly reading too much into it!

Please take this message with a pinch of salt!

Soldato
Meh is just a text way to express you shrugging and sighing.
It's like facepalm or something.

But if people start using it in sentences I should be allowed to kill them. A mate used lol in a sentence the other day, I think every had a mutual feeling of "Get out you ****er"

Back
Top Bottom