Will anyone take my US model for trade?

Caporegime
They'll test it and they'll take your name and address. They'll figure it out when they test it or when someone brings it back saying it won't play uk games, and then you'll be stuck.

Soldato
They'll test it and they'll take your name and address. They'll figure it out when they test it or when someone brings it back saying it won't play uk games, and then you'll be stuck.

What are they gonna do? It's their own fault for not thoroughly checking items which they buy. When I traded in my 60GB PS3, the lady in the store didn't even bother to open up the box - there could have been a breeze block in there for all she knew/cared :p

Associate
All games are region free so it doesn't matter where your PS3 has come from. However, Bluray films are regioned so it will depend on whether the person who buy's it wants to watch movies or not.

Like mentioned before, what are they going to do about it if they do find out? they should ask you these questions whilst buying it from you.

Soldato
I know in Game and Gamestation they plug all consoles in to see if it powers up. The two-pin power lead would be a dead give away.
Surely he has been using a UK power lea dif he has been playing it though? I know he could have been using a socket adapter but the power leads are very standard and very easy to get hold of!

Soldato
What are they gonna do? It's their own fault for not thoroughly checking items which they buy. When I traded in my 60GB PS3, the lady in the store didn't even bother to open up the box - there could have been a breeze block in there for all she knew/cared :p
If I shop did that, Trading Standards would be all over them. Why is it not your fault if you do it?

Soldato
Surely he has been using a UK power lea dif he has been playing it though? I know he could have been using a socket adapter but the power leads are very standard and very easy to get hold of!

PS3 is dual voltage...
Ive got a USA model works fine with a PC/Kettle power plug.
It auto detects as well so no switches for voltages

Theirs no real way to distinguish its American without close inspection.
Still I think youd get a better deal on a online auction as some people want USA PS3 for ensured compatibility with USA movies.

Last edited:
Soldato
PS3 is dual voltage...
Ive got a USA model works fine with a PC/Kettle power plug.
It auto detects as well so no switches for voltages

Theirs no real way to distinguish its American without close inspection.
Still I think youd get a better deal on a online auction as some people want USA PS3 for ensured compatibility with USA movies.
Yeah I know - I had a Jap import originally and after much looking around for a power adapter (like you needed with Jap PS2 imports) some kind soul on here told me about it being dual voltage - happy days.

Permabanned
If I shop did that, Trading Standards would be all over them. Why is it not your fault if you do it?

because he is not a shop, an individual does not need to conform to the same laws as a retailer as they do not enter into the same contracts.

Fact is, unless you are overly moral about these thiings then take it in who cares? Or ebay it and get more

Caporegime
because he is not a shop, an individual does not need to conform to the same laws as a retailer as they do not enter into the same contracts.

Fact is, unless you are overly moral about these thiings then take it in who cares? Or ebay it and get more

If he had taken a breeze block in, then it would be fraud. They'd have a harder time arguing about things if you were trading a US model though.

Soldato

Where did I say it would be acceptable to commit fruad?! :confused:

I stated that a lot of second hand shops (or more specifically, their employees) don't thoroughly scrutinise the items which they're buying.

Attempting to trade in a breeze block, clearly, is taking the ****. But if you're trading in a US PS3, then for all intents and purposes it is *a PS3*. If a game retailer has stipulations as to what region consoles they accept for trade-in, I'd say the onus should be on them to thoroughly ensure that your hardware complies with their rules/regs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom