• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overclock won't stick.

MrH

MrH

Associate
Hi,

I'm trying to overclock my 5850, it's currently set at 775/1125 which is the standard overclock afaik. If I use AMD GPU Clock Tool I can set it much higher and it'll stick and it shows correctly in GPU-z but when I reboot the clocks reset to default. I'm also using MSI Afterburner to control fan speed and I'm wondering if it's somehow resetting my overclock also.

Any help would be great.

Soldato
Your cards bios is probably limited to a certain overclock, usually a very low one, you go past it and it will just reset on reboot. Google MSI afterburne unofficial overclocking, I have gave enough advice about it on here so CBA.

Permabanned
Slap some glue on there!

The AMD Clock tool doesn't retain your settings, so you've either got to apply them in CCC or flash the bios with a higher 3D clock setting.

I'm not too sure if you can do that with 5 series though.

Although, when you set the clocks in AMD Clock tool, it overrides the powersaving features, your card will be constantly running at those clock speed and will get quite warm.

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
If you're talking about editing the config to allow unofficial overclocking then I've already done that to no avail.

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
Slap some glue on there!

The AMD Clock tool doesn't retain your settings, so you've either got to apply them in CCC or flash the bios with a higher 3D clock setting.

I'm not too sure if you can do that with 5 series though.

Although, when you set the clocks in AMD Clock tool, it overrides the powersaving features, your card will be constantly running at those clock speed and will get quite warm.

I don't really want to flash my bios, not worth the risk. If there's another way that would be great, otherwise I'll just stick with this very minimal overclock as it seems to be the highest they "allow".

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
Well, if you use the MSI unofficial overclocking, you can set it to what you want.

It'll let me set it sure and it'll work fine until I reboot, then it'll reset. I'm saving the settings in a profile and having them activate on startup. I'm not sure what's wrong.

Permabanned
I don't really want to flash my bios, not worth the risk. If there's another way that would be great, otherwise I'll just stick with this very minimal overclock as it seems to be the highest they "allow".

What risk would this be?

I'm pretty sure you either have to be cursed, or be incredibly stupid to irreparably break your graphics card via a bad flash.

Back
Top Bottom