E5200 @ 3.72GHz IDLE TEMP CORRECT?

Associate
My E5200 @ 3.72GHz runs at stock voltages (lucky, I know) and is cooled by a Zalman CNPS9700. When installed last year, I carefully applied the supplied Zalman thermal paste. My case also has good airflow (4x120mm & 1x140mm fan).

I have experienced no problems, but having since read some other posts wondered if I should try re-seating the cooler at some point. The 2 cores idle around ~40oC, and max out around ~60oC.

I know this is not too high in general terms, but considering my set-up do you think I should be getting lower temps?

Associate
I'd say thats the best you're going to get with that cooler & paste combo. Better paste will probably knock a few degrees off though.

I would state my temps here since I have a similar chip at similar speeds, But its irrelevant since I have mine watercooled.

Associate
E5/7xxxs are commonly prone to faulty or stuck temperature sensors. It might be that yours just wont read below 40. If your 3.7 is <1.3v then the 60c on air looks about right, although you dont say how you got to the figure. Max Intel burn test temp is always completely different than max gaming temps (prime95 temps usually match that), and distributed computing temps.

The only real cpu temperature that matters imho is the peak, which on these cpus is rated up to 3 figures.

Do you have eist turned on?

Associate
OP
If your 3.7 is <1.3v then the 60c on air looks about right, although you dont say how you got to the figure.
Do you have eist turned on?

For my 3.72GHz OC, I simply have the FSB to 297MHz (after much testing of course). Voltages have been left alone; ~1.25v rings a bell?

Not sure what EIST is I'm afraid, but all SpeedStep type board options were set to ON once my OC was finalised.

Thanks for both of your help, it seems as though perhaps everything is running pretty much as it should be. Happy days :)

Associate
OP
You know what, now I'm home I just gave Dead Space a blast for an hour - 1920x1080, gfx settings as high as possible...

55degrees was peak core temp - all good :)

Soldato
Looks fine, and ermm don't worry about idle temps, there not the most accurate anyways, the ones to keep an eye on are load temps, as thats where it matters the most.

Back
Top Bottom