New Car!

Associate
Finally got rid of the Primera which was dying a slow death, and replaced it with this....

p1000855.jpg

Seat Leon Cupra (180hp)

Bought with 58k on the clock with fsh and completly standard for £2800

Had it for 3 weeks and absolutly loving it! Such a difference to my Primera, today had it remapped and installed a forge dv valve, along with a uprated panel filter and it has improved the further!

Anyone got any ownership tips or any further recommended mods?

Soldato
Hate the look of the non R versions, look so boring. No idea who was behind the alloy wheel design but they look naff.

Saying that this car is a brilliant sleeper!

Soldato
Finally got rid of the Primera which was dying a slow death, and replaced it with this....

p1000855.jpg

Seat Leon Cupra (180hp)

Bought with 58k on the clock with fsh and completly standard for £2800

Had it for 3 weeks and absolutly loving it! Such a difference to my Primera, today had it remapped and installed a forge dv valve, along with a uprated panel filter and it has improved the further!

Anyone got any ownership tips or any further recommended mods?

what primera did you have ?

Soldato
So What's the difference between this and the R?

A friend of mine has an 03 plate Cupra R, and that made 280bhp post-remap, I believe?

There are different remaps. Some aim to get higher BHP, some aim to increase the amount of torque/BHP avaliable lower down etc.

Most get about 270bhp remapped, but it varies from 250ish-270ish i believe.

Soldato
It doesn't have any looks, truly horrible looking and something I would expect to see an old person driving to the shops in.

It seems seriously potent, a great price and quite a sleeper but the looks just make it dead to me.

I'm with fonzoo, R or bust! :p

Caporegime
So What's the difference between this and the R?

A friend of mine has an 03 plate Cupra R, and that made 280bhp post-remap, I believe?

There are different remaps. Some aim to get higher BHP, some aim to increase the amount of torque/BHP avaliable lower down etc.

Most get about 270bhp remapped, but it varies from 250ish-270ish i believe.

Different revision of the engine in the Cupra R IIRC so its simply not a matter of the engine map being different.

The R also has 4 pot brembos up from with 332mm discs, different rear brakes, different roll bars, different suspension, different wheels, different bodykit, the non R leon looks like total arse.

The ops car looks very cheap though, hope he get on well with it.

Permabanned
Thanks for clarifying that.

And guys, stop telling the OP his car looks terrible, and its not an R - not what you want to hear about your new car, is it :(. Yes it looks a little plain, and yes he knows its not an R (didn't have the price tag either), but its hardly an ugly car in terms of 10 year old hatch backs, now is it?

Soldato
Thanks for clarifying that.

And guys, stop telling the OP his car looks terrible, and its not an R - not what you want to hear about your new car, is it :(. Yes it looks a little plain, and yes he knows its not an R (didn't have the price tag either), but its hardly an ugly car in terms of 10 year old hatch backs, now is it?

He posted up pics showing off his new car, I'm sure he can take our views on it. THis has always been the case ion Motors and it certainly won't change. One reason why this place rocks, you get a good mix :)

As ever, if he wanted loads of 'Wicked car mate, stunning, bestest eva !11111' then he would have gone to an owners forum.

Soldato
Different revision of the engine in the Cupra R IIRC so its simply not a matter of the engine map being different.

Yes, there was the 210bhp (BAM?) engine and the 225bhp engine (both pretty much identical?), both remapped to the same apparently and the Leon was only given 210bhp to begin with, due to internal politics at VAG and them not wanting the "budget brand" being faster than their flagship Golf GTI IIRC.

Feel free to correct me, as you're the resident performance VAG man ;)

Permabanned
To be fair, I often look at my friend in his black R, and at first glance, I have to think for a minute whether its an R, or a standard one with wheels.

Obviously in more garish colours, like yellow, it becomes a bit more obvious.

Soldato
There was the run off "FR" 20vt which did add some nicer alloys + bumpers, bought it more in line with the Cupra-R look.

f_40414371_1.jpeg

Great cars, at least the one I owned for 2 years was. Remap is handy, but they wont achieve the same BHP gains as they dont use the K0s4 (iirc) turbo that the Cupra-R does. Still 210bhp is realistic. Recirc DV should be replaced, forge is a great option. Fit it in reverse if you'd like a slight whistle upon changing gears. Handling, never touched it in terms of upgrades. A bit understeery but very secure and grippy. Generally an excellent jack of all trades hatchback.

Check for water ingress via the doors (any of them). Symptoms are a puddle of water on the rear footwells :) Bit rushed for time but i'm sure someone else will have more information, and what to keep an eye on (not much!)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, there was the 210bhp (BAM?) engine and the 225bhp engine (both pretty much identical?), both remapped to the same apparently and the Leon was only given 210bhp to begin with, due to internal politics at VAG and them not wanting the "budget brand" being faster than their flagship Golf GTI IIRC.

Feel free to correct me, as you're the resident performance VAG man ;)

His is the 180bhp unit so its going to be an AUQ/ARY, the BAM unit didn't come in till 2000 and was only fitted to the Audi S3, Audi TT and Seat Leon Cupra R it also came with a K04 turbo not the K03's his car will be fitted with :)

On a revo stage one he should see around 210bhp, but he really needs a catback and forge to get more out of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom