WRT54GL Upgrade Help

Soldato
Ok so I'm looking to, reluctantly, upgrade my trusty WRT54GL Tomato router, but I have no clue where to turn these days as I've not really looked at this level of networking hardware since I bought it about a million years ago as it's served my every need since then! It's getting a little on the slow side now though, so I guess it's time to move on up!

Here's what I'm after, in no particular order.

• Just as configurable as the WRT54GL is with Tomato firmware
  • Ability to use custom firmware a big bonus but not required
  • Decent QoS implementation (TCP Vegas a plus)
  • Port forwarding and UPnP that actually works (!)
  • 10/100/1000 Ethernet
  • 802.11n
  • Dual band and preferably dual radio
  • <£150

Cheers!

Associate
Both are single single radio*, both are gigabit. The netgears cpu is 53MHz slower, has 1/4 the flash and 1/2 the ram. If you're loading tomato you're hardware limited so why opt for less? You could add a wireless access point to either if you really wanted dual radios for under £150. If you just wanted the g stuff separate you could use the 54gl for that.

*True netgear can do 5GHz but how important this is greatly dependant no how strong a 2.4GHz (which has better wall penetration) signal is where you live. Whether this is a deal breaker is up to you, but an extender/repeater can always be added later, and with the router controlling the network it makes sense to have the most powerful you can sensibly afford.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really looking for something that can do the lot though, for future proofing if nothing else. I don't upgrade my networking gear very often so I really want the best I can get now. The Netgear WNR3500L does look nice, shame it's not dual radio too. I've been looking at the WRT610N too, but a few people have complained about it so dunno.

Soldato
I've been looking at the WRT610N too, but a few people have complained about it so dunno.

The new Linksys models have a wireless dropping prob. My WRT160N did anyway, nice looking, but something about the design of the newer Linksys routers does make probs. pop up. I got a WRT54G version 2 & no probs. since I got it (3 days ago). Never really figured out why the wireless dropped randomly. It happened with Linksys & DDWRT firmware, so it was the hardware. The longest the wireless stayed up was maybe 2 months. Got it in Oct. last year, so it wasn't old.

Soldato
OP
I usually restart my router often anyway, so I guess that wouldn't effect me? I've never had any issues at all with my WRT54GL, it's certainly a fantastic router, I just feel it's time to upgrade what with 50mb Internet and hard drives that are faster than SATA let alone 100mbps Ethernet!

Argh decisions!

Soldato
I usually restart my router often anyway, so I guess that wouldn't effect me? I've never had any issues at all with my WRT54GL, it's certainly a fantastic router, I just feel it's time to upgrade what with 50mb Internet and hard drives that are faster than SATA let alone 100mbps Ethernet!

Argh decisions!

Stay away from Linksys, many US sites have bad reviews for the newer models, a common one is the wireless drops. What about a N access point to plug into your router??

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Netgear WNDR3700 :)

It's within price, simultaneous 2.4+5GHz radios + simultaneous guest wireless networks for both too. highly configurable on stock firmware and DD-WRT firmware support is in the works as well but from my usage of the stock features I don't think that's going to be a big issue as you get a lot out of the box anyway.

Check some other threads I posted in about it :)

Soldato
aye khan thats the one i linked to my reply cant recommend it enuff i use it mainly as a wired router and the wifi is only on when i am using my iphone in the house.

Back
Top Bottom