Can you install win7 via an external usb drive?

Associate
I still don't want to get any ssd's but I want to use as many sata sdrives as possible. I still have some ide drives though but wouldn't want to keep them in the system once win7 is installed.

I don't really use my dvd drives so a usb drive might be slow when I need it but it's not worth taking up an internal port.

so just to recap, can I install windows 7 on a fully raid0 sata connection with an external usb drive or can I use an ide drive then remove it after installation?

Associate
OP
I have tried installing off a usb drive before on an old laptop that had a broken firewire drive and I couldn't locate the drive in bios, so that's why I'm not too sure.

Guess it's best just to use the ide then remove it afterwards.

I've always wondered why they even bothered about putting them on there since sata's became the standard, now I have a reason lol :D

Soldato
It works fine from a USB device of any kind, be it flash or hard drive based. The process is the same for any. I've installed 7 on about 5 PC's from a USB hard drive with no issues. If you have a memory card reader and a memory card big enough you can even use that.

Check out the guide here http://www.eteknix.com/how-tos/how-to-install-windows-vista-or-windows-7-from-a-usb-drive/

There are also multiple tools you can download which do it automatically.

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom