• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI Has Announced Its Open Stereo 3D Initiative at GDC 2010

Soldato
2611zti.jpg

More interesting news coming from GDC 2010 in San Francisco, this time from ATI announcing their Open Stereo 3D Initiative in trying to work with more partners to ensure support for multiple different stereoscopic 3D solutions. The idea of the open initiative is to offer consumers additional choices when selecting an S3D solution, more innovations and of course help in lowering the costs for the hardware and software making it easier for wider adoption. ATI (AMD) and its partners will supposedly soon announce a lineup of 3D products, including a 3D-enabled ATI Eyefinity technology (to counter Nvidia’s 3D Vision Surround), 120Hz 3D-ready displays and notebooks, active shutter glasses and passive polarized ones (have you heard of passive shutter glasses!?), S3D support for DirectX 9, 10 and 11, Quad Buffered OpenGL, Blu-ray 3D support. As you can see from the presentation slide above the 3D-gaming middleware partners are DDD and iZ3D, and for Blu-ray 3D support ArcSoft and CyberLink. ATI is also going to try to work on establishing standards that will help in having compatibility and much wider choices when building your computer and stereo 3D setup if they are adopted by others. The only thing that still remains to be seen is how soon we are going to see actual products on the market as ATI has been talking about S3D support for quite some time, but still no dates when to expect it are available… although we have multiple hints about summer availability.
http://3dvision-blog.com/ati-has-announced-its-open-stereo-3d-initiative-at-gdc-2010/

Associate
Ok this has definately made my mind over the GPU I want.

I was onyl holding back for fermi because of 3D support but now with this I can go for the cheaper card and get 3D as well :D

bru

bru

Soldato
you have to just love the way that ATI squeeze the term open into everything they try to do, its not as if you don't still need an ATI 5 series card for this to work.

Man of Honour
Well its business and if nothing else thats one thing AMD are good at, no one with any kinda sense will fall for it.

Permabanned
you have to just love the way that ATI squeeze the term open into everything they try to do, its not as if you don't still need an ATI 5 series card for this to work.

Open will mean that anyone can use it if they want.

This isn't an "ATi technology" so you don't have to think you can't like it.

It's ATi basically declaring that it's working with various companies to get 3D standard established that will be GPU/brand agnostic.

It'll be the same standard as what's used with Blu-ray 3D, it'll work with iZ3D/Cyberlink and directly with games developers.

Did you even read the post or the link?

ATi's plugging OpenCL, but it's not their technology. :rolleyes:

Their two partners are members of the Stereoscopic 3D Gaming Alliance, what do you think is really going to happen there?

Permabanned
Calling it an "open" standard when you need an ATi 5*** series card to run it.

Where does it say you "NEED" a 5 series?

What do you expect them to say? They're hardly going to advertise nVidia in their own slides now are they?

Who's to say you CAN'T use it with other GPUs? Are you going to blame ATi if other GPU vendors don't take it up?

Once again, this isn't ATi's technology, they're not going to be "in control" with it.

Where they will be in control is making sure it's implemented in to their drivers and you can't complain about them looking after their own products.

Soldato
Sounds to me like they are trying to build a 3d solution that can be harnised in your system via multiple different options, unlike nvidia's one single solution, if i understand it rite it sounds fantastic, no where does it say that you need an ati 5 series card.
would be awsome if they were developing ati branded products that worked on any card aslong as you have a 120hz monitor

Soldato
Not exactly an advancement though is it, 3d is ancient to say the least, just newer techniques of doing it.

It doesn't matter how you go about it - you still need to render different images for each eye. That's how 3D works. For computer-rendered graphics, that means double the GPU workload (or near enough).

No-one forces you to go 3D if you don't think it's worth the performance drop, but these days there is very little to stress high end GPUs, so if you have the monitor then why not?

edit: And as far as I am aware 3D gaming is a pretty new thing? :confused:

Caporegime

Why's it open, because it will work with both types of 3d glasses, from every manufacturer, fine. IT will also happily help dev's include 3d support and won't make it only work on AMD cards, so Nvidia card owners will benefit from AMD's help in game X, Y and Z. Open code, no paying to licence the tech, no licencing fee's, no AMD dev's going on and sticking their own code into a game.

No 2 years down the line, Nvidia have by far the best powered GPU, you want to use your AMD gpu for havok gpu accelerated physics but AMD decide to lock out their cards with an Nvidia gpu in the system.

Gotta hate them for that..............

Its not fantastic AMD aren't supporting it on older cards, but then again I'd like to see a 4870 run a new game at 120fps in general, let alone on 3 screens.

Its a nice idea that officially you could run(I believe) surround 3d on a 9800gtx, but I'm fairly sure most people would cry at the painfully low FPS of any game in the last year on a 9800gtx, on 3 even 20" screens.

3d is less impressive than eyefinity in general, but either one really requires super high performance before you really consider using them as either will drop your framerates like mad.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
whatever way you try to spin it, this is ATI's 3d vision. it will need an ATI card so in reality its no different than nvidia's 3d thing. they will both play games, both play bluray 3d's, and other things that are meant to be in 3d.

one thing it does have going for it is its ability to use either type of glasses, even though id love to know what passive shutter glasses are meant to be...;) maybe they have shutters that have to be operated by hand @120 times a second.....:D

Back
Top Bottom