Corsair 800D - Can I be bothered to install

Associate
So my brother bought a 800D and his temps where getting to him, so he bought a Coolermaster 840 and his temps with all his fans on low are better than the 800D.

The question is, do i use his 800D, he wants to sell it, but he cant find a buyer currently and im thinking of installing my rig into it to see the difference. I have the Coolermaster Stacker 832 with lots of fans running, will I notice a difference in temps?

What do you think?

Associate
Hell yes! Do it! It's a fantastic case. I also switched from a CM Stacker. Sure, temps were a few degrees C higher but the bigger CM cases are some of the best for airflow. They are also dust magnets with all that side panel ventilation and when you have several drives installed it seriously hinders the front intake. The Obsidian has two isolated HDD cooling bays. I removed the stock Corsair fans and put Noctuas in their place plus a couple extra on top and temps are good. I'm running all but the primary bottom intake and rear exhaust on low noise resistors too. CPU fans are on system control and they very rarely budge from 500 rpm.

In short, it's certainly not the best for cooling but it is far from being poor (or even average) either. Think we were just spoiled some by the Stacker which has great airflow.

Last edited:
Associate
I think it's become something of an internet myth that the Obsidian is only suitable for water cooling. I put in a Noctua cooler with two quiet but efficient Apache fans (£20 for the pair) which left me with two Noctua fans that came with the CPU cooler to stick elsewhere. I replaced the Corsair fans but that was an option and applies to many cases. I am actually very happy with the CPU temps and the GPU cooling by default is very good with the bottom intake blowing directly into the graphics card fan.

The design would be very good for water cooling indeed but I didn't feel the CPU needed it to be honest. For anything up to a modest OC air will work fine.

Whichever cooling solution is chosen, a little bit of extra TLC goes a long way to getting the best out of it.

C64

C64

Soldato
800D is meant for watercooling really although I am sure with a bit of modding could be made to cool on air better.
A kama bay /lian li bay etc

Back
Top Bottom